5812 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP 2610-48 Switch

Jord9857
Occasional Advisor

HP 2610-48 Switch

Hi,

I've assigned my switch an ip address using console cable & putty.

However when i try to putty to just connect to the switch through Telnet / SSH. Just automatically closes on Telnet. When i try through SSH it says 'Connection Refused'.

Also if i wanted to connect to the Web interface for the switch e.g. 192.168.1.200. I tried leaving my IPv4 setting and also tried setting the IPv4 onto the same subnet and gateway and IP address near but doesn't like it. 

Kind Regards

Jord

10 REPLIES 10
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Are you able to share sanitized running configuration of your HP 2610 Switch?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Jord9857
Occasional Advisor

Like what? Most settings are as default. Only changed in IP configuration to Manual and set IP address & Gateway and subnet.
parnassus
Honored Contributor

So you set the IP address on Default VLAN? are you connecting through a switch port untagged nember of that VLAN?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Jord9857
Occasional Advisor

I assigned the IP address of the switch then connected ethernet cable on Port 1 to my laptop and tried browsing to that IP address & tried Putty.

Jord9857
Occasional Advisor

As I've assigned the switch an IP address, I'd like to be able to access remotely through Putty & web interface. As I've been able to with a Cisco Switch I configured (obvsiously i understand 2 totally different switches) I guess I'm missing out some settings e.g. Enable SSH & Telnet?

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi, AFAIK once the IP Address for a particular VLAN is set (IP Address, Subnet Mask and - eventually - a IP Default Gateway to reach non directly connected nets via a directly connected Gateway on that VLAN or on a routed one) you have just to ensure that the host you are going to use for test is connected to a port untagged member of that VLAN and that the host IP addressing is within the VLAN assigned Net.

Say your VLAN 1 (Default VLAN <-- you said you have a mostly Default configuration) was set with IP Address 192.168.0.254 Mask 255.25.255.0, your host need to be connected on a port that is untagged member of VLAN 1 and with IP Address 192.168.0.x (with x within 1 and 253) mask 255.255.255.0 and Default Gateway set to 192.168.0.254...so please check VLAN membership of the port used by the host and IP addressing of the host with respect to IP addressing used on the Default VLAN (VLAN id 1).

Check ICMP Ping from your Host to your Switch's VLAN 1 assigned IP Address...and check no OS FIrewall is interfering.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Jord9857
Occasional Advisor

I tried pinging the switch but just say's 'Destination Host Unreachable'.

All ports are currently Untagged as i haven't assigned out any VLANs or created any yet.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say i should do now? Are you saying i need to assign the Default VLAN to e.g. Port 1?

The first step I'm trying to do would be enabling Web interface so i can enable SSH & Telnet from there.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Default configuration on that Switch series already means all ports are untagged members of Default VLAN...so I suggested you at least verify this property on the port used by your host.

Double check IP addressing on your host...if VLAN tagging is OK...then it is impossible for it to not ping the Default VLAN assigned IP address.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Jord9857
Occasional Advisor

ok, so all ports are 'untagged' as default.

Just set default VLAN (VLAN 1) IP address, gateway already set when switch IP address was assigned.

So assign this VLAN to a port and then try and access Web interface that way?