108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 2920Switch to Aruba 2920

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ketan_s
Occasional Contributor

HP 2920Switch to Aruba 2920

Hello, I would someone will be able to assist me with my query. I would like to confirm the below: (Switch 1) HP 2920 switch this has HP Expansion Module - 2 x SFP+ (J9731A) installed - which then trunks to another same HP switch (Switch 2) with the same module installed via a cable (J9285B) I would like to trunk Switch 1 with a Aruba 2920 (J9728A) (Switch 3) I would need to purchase a HP Expansion Module - 2 x SFP+ - Can someone advise if I can use the same one J9731A on this switch for compatability 2nd question, As i have two ports i have one cable to from Switch 1 to Switch 2. Can i have another cable from Switch 1 to Switch 3?
3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP 2920Switch to Aruba 2920

Hi, first of all the HP 2920 and the Aruba 2920 represent the same hardware product (Aruba is basically - frontal design and chassis logo/colour apart - the new rebranded name for the "old" HP 2920).

For sure a good thing you can do - look at it as a good starting point - is to update all of your three 2920s to the same latest Firmware available so they will run the same ArubaOS-Switch (which is the current evolution of the old HP ProVision Operating System) Operating System version.

Said so if you want to deploy the topology described you need to purchase another J9731A 2 Ports SFP+ Module for your 3rd 2920 Switch (the one you want to connect to the 1st Switch) and then using another J9285B (DAC Cable) create a single port Port Trunk between 1st 2920 Switch 2nd SFP+ port (J9731A) and the 3rd 2920 Switch 1st SFP+ port (J9731A).

Ports of the J9731A Module can be used indipendently (so the J9731A on your 1st Switch will have both connected through DAC Cables to your remaining switches).

Since you said you are using 7 meters long DAC Cables (this make me think your three switches are very near each other), have you considered to stack them - using specific Stacking Module(s) + Stacking Cable(s) - instead of doing single port Port Trunk(ing) between them or are you somewhat forced to do Port Trunk(ing) due to your network topology/logic/requirement?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Ketan_s
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much for clearing this up. I wanted to confirm the two ports on the J9731A modules were independent. Switch 1 is stacked, using stacking modules and cables. Switch 2 and 3 we are unable to stack due to the nature of our setup. Below is a simple diagram of our setup. I understand there is single point of failures around, but at the moment this is our setup.
parnassus
Honored Contributor

That's OK.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner