5605 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: [HP 5900] Config of basic 802.1p CoS marking

fab2
Occasional Advisor

[HP 5900] Config of basic 802.1p CoS marking

Hi all,

On my HP 5900 I need to set the 802.1p CoS to 4 on ALL out-going packets on a certain vlan (vlanid 52) and to 6 on ALL out-going packets on another vlan (vlanid 50).
(so that traffic priorities are handeled on transport network connceted to my HP Switchs).

Based on the config guide , below is the config I entered into the 5900.

As I'm pretty new on HP and QoS, and as I cannot test it (cannot mirror the egress traffic from the 5900), can anyone tell me if my config is correct ie will actually mark the egress packets ?

Thanks !

traffic classifier oam
if-match service-vlan-id 50
quit
traffic classifier sig
if-match service-vlan-id 52
quit

traffic behavior cos4
remark dot1p 4
quit
traffic behavior cos6
remark dot1p 6
quit

qos policy cos46
classifier sig behavior cos4
classifier oam behavior cos6
quit

interface ten-gigabitethernet 1/0/49
qos apply policy cos46 outbound

3 REPLIES 3
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

It looks like you've done your homework. Looks good.

My only observations would be:
1/ I much prefer to apply QoS policy INbound. That way it is set correctly at source and traverses the network with correct markings.
2/ "6" is a value that only HP uses for voice (also Mitel). The correct standards-based value for voice is "5", and this is what other vendors use. What this means is that if you are handing this traffic off to somebody else's network and they use - say - CIsco equipment with the default QoS queues, your voice will be going into a a queue that is not designed to carry RTP. Or, you hand it off to a WAN carriage that assigns "6" to a special COS category which isn't assigned much (or any) available bandwidth.
So, stick with "6" if the traffic remains on an HP network (easy to stick with defaults), use "5" if the end-to-end communication traverses a multi-vendor mixed infrastructure.

fab2
Occasional Advisor

Hi Vince,

thanks

yes I totally agree, marking should be performed ingress by the switch where QoS mechanism (queues...) is configured. But my client is 'lazy' on that, obviously not so motivated for configuring packet marking, so he said "QoS will be perform if packets enter marked"... I'll see what I can do.

fab2
Occasional Advisor

But still, if I do the marking egress, I 'd like to get an opinion on my config ("my homework")

Has anybody who has dealed with 802.1p CoS marking , can have a look to my config ?