New Discussion

Re: HP2920 Tagged / UnTagged Ports

SOLVED
Go to solution
dtsteinb
Occasional Advisor

HP2920 Tagged / UnTagged Ports

I hope this is the correct forum.

I have a new 2920 switch. I configured it as below. My question is for each VLAN do I need to tag / untag each port like I did in VLAN 3? I am very confused by tagged vs untagged.   I have VOIP phones (VLAN6) and the PC's get connected into the phone. My data VLAN is VLAN3  Also this will get connected to my Stack (4 HP2920).  I thought on the new switch I had to make a trunk port so I made port 48 a trunk and connected it to 4/40 on the stack but that didn't work.  I just went from 4/40 on the stack to port 43 on the new switch and the 2 people I added to this switch work but I dont think the vlans are applying.  The phone shoujld be VLAN6  but says VLAN0
vlan 1
   name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
   no untagged 1-48
   no ip address
   exit
vlan 3
   name "DATA_VLAN"
   untagged 1-48
   ip address 10.XXX.XXX.XXX 255.255.255.0
   exit
vlan 5
   name "GUEST_WIFI"
   no ip address
   exit
vlan 6
   name "VOICE_VLAN"
   no ip address
   voice
   exit
vlan 7
   name "WIFI_VLAN"
   no ip address
   exit
vlan 8
   name "FPL_VLAN"
   no ip address
   exit
vlan 9
   name "MGMT_VLAN"
   no ip address
   exit
vlan 10
   name "CAM_VLAN"
   no ip address
   exit
no tftp server
no autorun
no dhcp config-file-update
no dhcp image-file-update
no dhcp tr69-acs-url
password manager

9 REPLIES 9
parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Generally you should configure [*] all ports connected to VoIP Phones as tagged member of your Voice dedicated VLAN (VLAN Id 6 in you case) and, with regard to the uplink port 48 (uplink to your four members Aruba 2920's stack), you should configure [**] that port as tagged member of any VLAN it is required to pass through that uplink (if that is necessary) considering that on both ends the involved interfaces should match their respective VLAN (a) untagged and (b) tagged membership (so if you have port 48 untagged in VLAN 3 I expect your 4/40 is untagged in VLAN 3 too, eventually both should be tagged member of VLAN 6 so the uplink will permit the flow of Voice dedicated VLAN).

[*] in config mode via vlan 6 then tagged <port-list> commands.

[**] in config mode via vlan 6 then tagged 48 command (and  in Aruba 2920 stack: in config mode via vlan 6 then tagged 4/40 command).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

To expand on that,
 - "trunk" is link aggregation, nothing to do with VLAN tagging.

- "tagging" describes an ethernet frame format. A device that is configured as "untagged" (eg, a normal PC) will not understand a tagged frame.

- a switchport can have a maximum of one untagged VLAN, and any number of tagged VLANs. 

So if you need multiple VLANs, it is usually for one of 2 scenarios:

- an uplink to another switch - add all required VLANs as "tagged" at both ends of the link

- a phone/PC combo - the PC doesn't understand tags, so you configure the switchport with Data untagged and voice tagged. The phone acts as a switch., providing access to the untagged data VLAN to the PC that is patched to it.

In your case, your phones don't know what the Voice VLAN is.
 - if your phones support LLDP, enable LLDP on your switch ("lldp run" or "lldp enable", something like that) and LLDP will tell your phones what the Voice VLAN is
 - otherwise configure the phone vendor option in the Data subnet, including the Voice VLAN ID - the phones will boot up once in the Data VLAN, get the Voice VLAN ID, then reboot into the Voice VLAN.

dtsteinb
Occasional Advisor

I am still a little confused.   Doesn't the uplink need to be a trunk port so all vlan traffic can go over it?   The port that goes from the new switch to the stack would need to configured as a trunk as well no?  Everytime I try to create a trunk port the switch freezes on me.  I do (on the new switch):

trunk ethernet 44 trk2 trunk 

Now if i try using that to connect to the stack it wont work.  I had to change to Port43 on the new switch.

So Port 43 on the new switch is connected to Port 4/40 in the stack.

As far as the phone looking at my stack config nothing has lldp enabled ( i did sh lldp config and everything is false / false)

Voice VLAN is VLAN6.  I have 2 ppl connected to this switch.   Would like to have it configured correctly before adding more.  This is the current Config.   Please let me know what I need to change / modify to get this to work.

vlan 1
   name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
   no untagged 1-48
   no ip address
   exit
vlan 3
   name "DATA_VLAN"
   untagged 1-48
   ip address 10.XXX.XXX.XXX 255.255.255.0
   exit
vlan 5
   name "GUEST_WIFI"
   no ip address
   exit
vlan 6
   name "VOICE_VLAN"
   tagged 2,9,43
   no ip address
   voice
   exit
vlan 7
   name "WIFI_VLAN"
   no ip address
   exit
vlan 9
   name "MGMT_VLAN"
   no ip address
   exit
vlan 10
   name "CAM_VLAN"
   no ip address
   exit
no tftp server
no autorun
no dhcp config-file-update
no dhcp image-file-update
no dhcp tr69-acs-url
password manager

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

A "trunk" is an aggregated link and has nothing to do with VLANs. Because you've configured a trunk, and you haven't added that trunk to any VLANs, you are having connectivity issues. Get rid of trunk config and get the basic connectivity working first, then worry about link aggregation later.

Your next step is to configure the phones to use VLAN6 as the voice VLAN. You can do this via LLDP, DHCP, or manual config on the phones. The phones aren't going to use VLAN6 unless you configure them to do so.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

@dtsteinb wrote: I am still a little confused.   Doesn't the uplink need to be a trunk port so all vlan traffic can go over it?   The port that goes from the new switch to the stack would need to configured as a trunk as well no?  Everytime I try to create a trunk port the switch freezes on me.

It looks like you are using a Cisco-like terminology so all subsequent assumptions are Cisco biased: Trunk in HP/HPE/Aruba terminology represents an aggregated link o two ore more ports (LAG=BAGG=Trunk), call it bond if you like or EtherChannel in Cisco-like terminology... @Vince-Whirlwind wrote you it hasn't nothing to do with permitting VLANs to be carried over a link, that is tagging VLAN IDs over a link (or over a Trunk).

This Aruba VLAN and Link-Aggregation interoperability between ArubaOS switches and Cisco IOS device presentation should clarify what I mean (then concentrate on Page 4 scenario which represent your one).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
dtsteinb
Occasional Advisor

Ok once I tagged Port 43 in VLAN6 the phone show the correct VLAN.  So I woul just tag Port 43 in all the VLANS then ?

For the Trunk,  once I type the command the switch froze so I couldnt tag it to any VLAN.   I had to console in and remove it. 

Thanks

dtsteinb
Occasional Advisor

I am used to Cisco switches so maybe thats why I am confused.  Each vendor has their own terminology.

Thanks for the input.  Appreciated  That link is helpful , Thanks

dtsteinb
Occasional Advisor

I thought I was getting this but I am setting up another switch (which will be part of stack of 4 2920 switches).  I have the uplink in 1/2 for now.  I have the stack enabled even though this is the only member right now   I also have IP Routing enabled.  I tried to tag port 1/2 for VLAN 6 and the switch freezes on me.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Do you have STP enabled? If the switch freezes when you add a VLAN to a live link, my first guess is that you don't have STP ernabled and you've formed a loop on that VLAN.