1751841 Members
5776 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPE OfficeConnect 1950 12XGT 4SFP+ and ESXi 6.7 VM issues

Michail-Galanak
Visitor

HPE OfficeConnect 1950 12XGT 4SFP+ and ESXi 6.7 VM issues

Hello, i had 2 Cisco switches with 1Gbit interfaces and i recently switched to 2 HPE 1950 with 10Gbit.

I have 2 server HPE DL360 Gen10 an each has HPE Eth 10Gb 2p 562FLR-T Adptr

The HPE switches are stacked.

So i created a LAG for each server with 2 ports (1 from each switch) in Dynamic mode, Trunk and connected my Servers . In esx settings i have configured them on Route Base on originating Virtual Port, Link status only , Notify switches Yes, Failback Yes, and both ports as active adapters.

i also have a separate network for vmotion.

Now the problem is that when i migrate a VM from one host to another , there is 50%-70% chance that i will loose the network connection. I cannot ping the vm from Vms that are on the oposite host. And also inside the Migrated Vm there is no internet access.

The only way to make the network adapter to work again is to disconnect-Connect the network card a couple of times from the VM settings.

Any thoughts about it?

Now the problem is

2 REPLIES 2
parnassus
Honored Contributor

@Michail-Galanak wrote: The HPE switches are stacked.

It means you created an IRF with two HPE 1950 Switches, they act as a single virtual switch. That's OK.

@Michail-Galanak wrote: So i created a LAG for each server with 2 ports (1 from each switch) in Dynamic mode, Trunk and connected my Servers . In esx settings i have configured them on Route Base on originating Virtual Port, Link status only , Notify switches Yes, Failback Yes, and both ports as active adapters.

Does it mean that you are dealing with vDS - Virtual Distributed Switch(es) - on your vSphere infrastructure?

AFAIK only by using vDS - instead of more common vSS Virtual Standard Switch(es) - you can use the LACP (Port Trunking with Dynamic aggregation mode) otherwise only Port Trunking with Static (Non-Protocol) aggregation mode is supported when more usual vSS are used.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Michail-Galanak
Visitor

Curently i am using vSS.

The issue that occurs after the VM migration is relevant to the above? On the previous configuration with the Cisco switch, everything was working fine with vSS. i am trying to figure out if this is HPE configuration issue or an ESX configuration issue.