6032 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPE OfficeConnect 1950 VLAN Issues

Conor-T
Occasional Advisor

HPE OfficeConnect 1950 VLAN Issues

Hi all,

We are using the 1950 Switches, and are unable to get VLANs working correctly. Using a Guest VLAN, I am able to obtain an IP address but not ping the default gateway (Core switch). From an untagged LAN, I can ping this Gateway.

The switch can only ping things on the default VLAN and no others. All other Switches here are working ok.

Current config is Ports running in Hybid, VLAN 1 is untagged with 4&5 tagged (Guest and VOIP).

The uplink on Core is tagged too.

Any idea where i'm going wrong?

Cheers

10 REPLIES 10
akg7
HPE Pro

Re: HPE OfficeConnect 1950 VLAN Issues

Hello @Conor-T ,

Is guest a host?

If yes then it should be untagged.

Is there any routing configured in switch toward uplink for other vlans?

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
Conor-T
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

The Guest is a VLAN, coming from a UniFi AP with a network Tagged to the VLAN.

No other routing configured, apart from on the Core switch.

Cheers

akg7
HPE Pro

Hello @Conor-T ,

Is core switch acting as L3 switch here and 1950 as L2?

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
Conor-T
Occasional Advisor

That's correct. The L3 has an IP for the default gateway.

The core is an Aruba 5412Rzl2

parnassus
Honored Contributor

The HPE OfficeConnect 1950 Switch port used to connect to the UniFi Wireless AP should be set to operate in Trunk Mode (not Hybrid) with a PVID (Native thus untagged) VLAN membership equal to VLAN 1 and with additional VLAN memberships equal to VLAN 4 and 5 both tagged.

Say interface 1/1 untagged member of VLAN 1 and, concurrently, tagged member of VLAN 4 and 5. That's a Trunk port.

The assumption is that the UniFi Wireless AP is using the VLAN 1 (untagged) for management purposes and the VLAN 4 and 5 (both tagged) for carrying SSIDs traffic (of Guest and VOIP devices). Isn't it?

Then if VLAN 1, 4 and 5 are transported on the uplink between 1950 and its Core (Aruba 5400R zl2) and this latter one is acting as L3 Core for all those VLANs (thus each involved VLAN has its own IP Address = Default Gateway for hosts belonging to that particular VLAN) and no ACLs block particular traffic type...then a host on VLAN 1, 4 or 5 should be able to ping its respective Gateway (the VLAN IP on the Core).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Conor-T
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for this.

I will give it a go.

Does the uplink to the core have to be hybrid or trunked?

Conor

parnassus
Honored Contributor

HPE OfficeConnect 1950 side the uplink port to Core should operate in Trunk Mode, on the Aruba 5400R zl2 (Core) side it should simply (due to different jargons about VLAN tagging) be untagged member of VLAN 1 and tagged member of VLAN 4 and 5. Check on Aruba with show vlan ports ethernet <port-id> details CLI command to see VLAN membership of a particular port.

To add/remve tagging on ArubaOS-Switch based switch series see here (as example), clearly there tons of info all over the Internet explainig how to manage VLAN tagging on HP/HPE/HPE Aruba switch series (or how to manage Access/Trunk ports on HPE Comware based switches like the 1950 since the jargon changes) so you're really free to look for the guide you like more.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Conor-T
Occasional Advisor

No luck unfortunately.

I have run the command, and can confirm VLAN 4 is tagged to the port. VLAN 1 is untagged.

Other switches have the same issue, so it must be core related. I cannot ping the default gateway from other switches, only if directly on core.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

@Conor-T wrote: I cannot ping the default gateway from other switches, only if directly on core.

Can you elaborate?

Hypotetical scenario: an access switch (Layer 2) has its IP Address and Default Gateway both set (say, as example, the IP Address is the one configured for VLAN 1 and, correspondingly, the Default Gateway is the VLAN 1 IP Address set on the Core where the routing happens), the uplink on the Access to Core Switch is untagged on VLAN 1, the Downlink on the Core to the Access Switch is untagged on VLAN 1, the Core has the above mentioned IP Address on its VLAN 1 (it's the VLAN IP Interface) and the IP Routing is enabled (well, for the sake of this test, the routing itself is not relevant)...so, given this scenario, you're saying that such Access Switch (do a ping to Core VLAN 1 IP Address - AKA the same IP used as Default Gateway - using the source option and specifiying its IP Address on VLAN 1) is not able to reach (or it doesn't receive an answer from) the Core switch? is it that?

I'm not an HPE Employee