LAN Routing
1752801 Members
5556 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

I need to route internet traffic to multiple gateways from a single Procurve 4204vl switch.

t_jonas-trinity
Occasional Visitor

I need to route internet traffic to multiple gateways from a single Procurve 4204vl switch.

I have a local network with VLANs connected through a Procurve 4204vl switch. That switch is the gateway for the whole network. I have it routed by default for internet traffic to a Sonicwall firewall. I have a second Sonicwall firewall connected to a different ISP. I would like to route all internet traffic from one subnet of my network to the second firewall.

I need help with the routing commands.

Thankyou

1 REPLY 1
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I need to route internet traffic to multiple gateways from a single Procurve 4204vl switch.

I haven't used a 4200 switch for quite a while, but if memory serves me correctly, it has very limited routing features, and policy-based routing like you require is not supported. (Someone with more expertise in that model should be able to comment with more authority on the subject, but i'm 80% certain.)

A workaround might be to connect the second Sonicwall directly to the subnet in question, and use it as the default gateway for that subnet. You'll have to add routes on both Sonicwalls to ensure that they know how get to each others' networks.
Regards,
Paul