New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSR30 router VLAN Ip conflicting with another interface - HELP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeremy112
Advisor

MSR30 router VLAN Ip conflicting with another interface - HELP

Hello everyone,

Pretty desperate here. I have the HP MSR30 40 router and I am trying to get the router setup so it will ass my broadband internet to the rest of my computers on my network.

I have the WAN connected to port 0/0, and port 0/1 has a HP Procurve 2650 switch connected which has all the computers attached.

My problem is when I do the wizard setup, I set the WAN to auo to receive the DHCP from my ISP, that works fine, the next age of th wizard asks for LAN setup of a VLAN IP address, subnet mask, and DHCP.

The only issue I have is when I save the configuration, the router gives an error saying "Error - the IP address you entered overlaps with another interface" The interface its overlapping with is port 0/1 which has the ip of 192.168.1.1.

I guess what im asking is how do I make the VLAN communicate with both the WAN and LAN so all the devices work together? I'm somewhat new to vlans so I don't know for sure what I'm doing, any help would be appreciated.

Thank you, Jeremy

5 REPLIES 5
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor
Solution

Howdy,
I *think* the problem here is that you might have an address on a routed port (port 0/1) and an address on the "virtual" L3 interface inside the router as well.
You probably don't need a VLAN interface if you are only servicing one IP subnet but I would expect that if you want to have multiple downstream networks form a routed port you would use :
interface 0/1.10 for VLAN10
int 0/1.20 for VLAN 20
etc
and then put an IP address on them as appropriate.
The downstream switch could then have VLANs 10 & 20 tagged on a trunk link facing the router.

Hope that helps.
Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
Jeremy112
Advisor

Thank you for your response Ian, though I am wondering if it is best that I start from scratch on configuring the router. If it's possible, could you guide me through the setup? My network topology is as follows:

Cable modem to gigabit port 0/0 on H3C MSR 30 40 then gigabit port 0/1 to port 50 (gigabit port) on the 2650 switch, then from there I just have desktop PCs and WAPs connected.

I just want a simple configuration to allow internet to be routed via DHCP to the rest of the devices connected on the 2650 switch.  If you could assist me with a step by step method to configure the router successfully I would greatly appreciate it.

I would like the internal IPs of the devices to come off of a 192.168.0.1 gateway , if that information would help you in assisting me.

Again thanks for the help, I do appreciate it!

Jeremy

Jeremy112
Advisor

Okay, I want to scratch the above plan, I have fully figured out how to setup the DHCP for the LAN so all devices now receive their IPs, subnet, gateway, and DNS, they all access each other and the router like they should.

I just need to get the internet on gigabit ethernet port 0/0 to go to ethernet port 0/1 so the rest of the network can receive internet.  Am I correct? Could you walk me through the procedure?

Thank you,

Jeremy

Jeremy112
Advisor

Okay, I've actually managed to get the router setup just how I want it, its receiving internet and relaying it across the rest of the network as it should. I had a static route setup that was causing gigethernet 0/0 not to communicate with gigethernet 0/1.

All is well, the performance if this new router is outstanding, it even looks good in my equipment rack. A very VERY satisfied HP/H3C/3Com customer :D:D

Thank you for your assistance Ian, I really appreciate you taking the time to help!

Jeremy

Radiotech1

Hello Jermy,

Can you please share your configuration files or tell us how you where able to accomplish this.

I am having a similar problem. I have a static wan IP address on Ethernet Port 0.0 and want to connect my LAN Network to port 0.1 but I am having problems. I have created Vlan1 with no luck.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks