108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multicast routing with 2910

SOLVED
Go to solution
Russ_M

Multicast routing with 2910

Hello and thanks for viewing my post...

I administer a network comprised of a HP Procurve 2910 acting as the core routing switch, and several 2810s.  We have three main vlans; vlan 1 for network equipment, vlan 10 for servers, and vlan 20 for clients.  I am trying to use the multicast function of Windows Deployment Services on the server vlan, but am unable to connect to the session from the client vlan.  We also use Faronics Insight to monitor desktops in various classrooms, but the only way we can see them is if we are on the same vlan.  I have turned on the IGMP on every vlan on all of our switches.  I have seen reference to running the 'ip multicast-routing' command, but that is not valid on our 2910s.  Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Russ

3 REPLIES 3
Russ_M

Doh.. think I just found my answer (don't know why I didn't find it in the 5 hours I was searching yesterday)..

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Switches-Hubs-Modems-Legacy-ITRC/IP-multicast-routing-between-two-VLANs-on-ProCurve-2910/td-p/4726083

showneek
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi,

that is because 2910 is not capable to do multicast routing which you need if you want to send/receive multicast stream from one vlan to another.

This solves PIM protocol (Sparse or Dense mode) and from ex-ProCurve switches which support PIM are ProVision Asic switches

3500yl/6200yl/6600 with premium license installed (you have to buy it separately)

3800/5400zl/8200zl which already include premium license in base

The premium license include VRRP, OSPF, Q-in-Q, PIM.

BR,

Jan

showneek
Respected Contributor

Oh I was writing my answer and you found this meanwhile.

OK