LAN Routing
1748254 Members
3952 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Need help for finalize network design and deploy.

SOLVED
Go to solution
fabiommx
Occasional Advisor

Need help for finalize network design and deploy.

Hello everyone!

I need help in order to finish a network that me and my company are building.
We got a network made of layer 2 switches, the model of the switches are 2530 and 5400zl series.
This network right now is working fine and we got about 20 VLAN.
Now here's the problem:
we need to do allow intra VLAN communication and for doing that we need a Layer 3 switch off course,
HP 2915 seems fine in order to do the inter VLAN routing; we also need to put in communication this network with another network and for doing so we are looking for a router the HP MSR900 seems suitable for us.
My question at this point are:
1. is possible with the 2915 switch allow the communication between theese 2 network in order to avoid to purchase the additional router?
2. if the additional router is needed does the MSR900 has the necessary specification?
3. does the MSR900 has intra VLAN routing capabilities? if the answer is yes off course we will buy only the router.
4. In case if the mentioned device are not suitable for intra VLAN routing and communication between different network can you suggest suitable devices for doing intra VLAN routing and allow the communicaiton between this network and the other.

Additional information: all VLAN will arrive on a single port with tagged traffic.

Thanks in advice.

3 REPLIES 3
TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: Need help for finalize network design and deploy.

The 5400zl series is a layer 3 switch and can do routing. If I remember correctly you need an additional software license for advanced routing protocols.

fabiommx
Occasional Advisor

I search in the HP website and i found the "My networking" section where you can register and view the license for your device but unfortunately i didn't find any additional license to purchese.

However i find that for register my switch i've got to insert a product number that is different from what is shown on my device. In specific the product number that i've got to insert is: J9539A but the switch actually got this product number: J8697A. I wonder if different product number correspond to different software capabilities. However i open a case and now i'm waiting for the support to contact me.
Regarding the router can you please tell me if is in case suitable for the task? Thanks again

fabiommx
Occasional Advisor

After performing a firmware update the E5406ZL layer 3 functionality has been unlocked solving the problem.