LAN Routing
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needing to route internet one way and lan traffic another. Need help.

zdoty
Occasional Visitor

Needing to route internet one way and lan traffic another. Need help.

I'm needing help.  I just purchased a HP Procurve 2615 8 port layer 3 switch.  This is our environment and what I'm tyring to accomplish.

The main office is 192.168.0.0/24.  We have two wireless segments over to the remote location.  Then we have a fiber line from the remote office and their gas dock.  Then they bought in a wireless isp that has their equipment on the remote locations gas dock.

What we are trying to accomplish is all 192.168.0.0 traffic to be sent over the wireless segment back to the main office.  All internet traffic to be sent to the wireless ISP they have at the remote gas dock. 

Now with all the being said we have a DHCP server at the main location that I would like to use.

So far what I have tried is set up two vlans on the switch.  Vlan 2 was for the remote location with 192.168.1.0/24.  Assigned to all ports except one.  That one just has the default vlan setup with an ip assigned to it that is on the 192.168.0.0/24.  I had it where it could get online through the isp and it could ping all the 192.168.1.0/24 but only the ip that I attached to the 192.168.0.0/24 on the vlan was able to ping. 

What am I doing wrong?

What would be the best setup? 

1 REPLY
Rich R_1
Advisor

Re: Needing to route internet one way and lan traffic another. Need help.

If I am reading your post correctly, in HP's terms, you are trying to do a policy based route.  However, I don't think the 2615 supports policy routing like the 5400's (v2 Modules)/8212's (v2 Modules)/3800's/etc...  

Though if you are trying to route all 192.168.0.0/24 back to the main location, and the 192.168.1.0/24 traffic to route out to the ISP, depending on the firewall you could use do a interface route or gateway route (depending on your network) to say all 192.168.0.0/24 traffic gets forwarded to the main location gateway and the 192.168.1.0/24 traffic gets forwarded to the internet...(that is if I understood your question correctly).

Would you be able to create a diagram of what you are trying to accomplish or your config?