4585 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Optimal 4-port trunk settings between HPE V1910-24G and HPE 1920S-24G

bushtor
Occasional Contributor

Optimal 4-port trunk settings between HPE V1910-24G and HPE 1920S-24G

Hi,

The switches' actual model IDs are JL381A and JE006A.

I need to have a 4x gigabit trunk between these two switches and I'm struggling with setting up this with optimal throughput as the GUI for these two switches are very different.

Thanks a lot for help on which mode and config which would be best for a 4gig 'highway' between these two boxes.

Best regards

Tor

3 REPLIES 3
nikunjbhatia
HPE Pro

Hi Tor

Thanks for posting Query in HPE community.

Let me check both devices details and will try to share the link or process for the above setup

I am a HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
bushtor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi!

The 1910 and 1920S Switch series are pretty much different but they have a common way of being configured...via a graphical user interface available through a web based dashboard...each series has its particular dashboard and feature nomenclature (naming)...Comware network operating system based 1910 Switch series adopts LAG Link Aggregation Group (or BAGG Bridge AGgregation Group) naming convention to refer at physical interfaces aggregation (member interfaces) into a single common logical interface (the LAG also known as the Trunk)...so the key menu are Link Aggreation and LACP.

The same pretty much happens on Custom Linux newtork operating system based 1920S Switch series but on this series the aggregation is under Trunk menu.

The logic behind forming an aggregated logical interface (the entity that is used to team/bond/aggreate two or more physical ports/interfaces) is pretty much the same.

The optimum configuration is - IMHO - the one which use LACP: on 1920S disable the Static mode in favour of the Dynamic mode (LACP) - see that it was discussed here - and set the same on 1910's LAG interface.

That is just a starting point (refers to respective manuals/configuration guides) to understand the details...the VLAN tagging (if necessary) on peers LAGs/Trunks interfaces need to be set AFTER the respective LAGs/Trunks were setup...and the VLAN Tagging (the fact you permit some VLANs to pass over/through the LAG <--> Trunk logical link) should be applied ONLY to logical interfaces (forget the member physical interfaces since those are automatically configured by the parent logical interfaces they are member of).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner