108810 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Partition HPE 1920 48G Switches

SOLVED
Go to solution
dkov
Occasional Visitor

Partition HPE 1920 48G Switches

My company has six HPE 1920 48G Switches linked together to a stack. We have divided our network into 11 subnets and for each subnet there is an ethernet cable going into our firewall. 

How am I able to specify groups of ports such that certain ports (clients) use 1 specific port as outgoing port to the firewall. Example: the first 20 ports are clients from subnet A and port 21 goes to the firewall subnet A's port.

Is it correct, that VLANs would achieve this? Are there significant problems, that may occure?

Is there another feature such that our stack of switches could work the same way sa 11 physical switches would work?

Best regards, and thanks

Daniel

3 REPLIES 3
network_king
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello Daniel,

you may consider link-aggregation and connect to firewall ports while tagging vlans on uplink,

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

parnassus
Honored Contributor

@dkov wrote: My company has six HPE 1920 48G Switches linked together to a stack. We have divided our network into 11 subnets and for each subnet there is an ethernet cable going into our firewall.

Hi Daniel, maybe you should re-think your network topology...at least from the logical standpoint: dividing a LAN into n VLANs (each VLAN can be thus assigned to a well defined Subnet by setting the VLAN IP Address) doesn't necessarily mean that you should have n uplinks to your Firewall....but you need to sit down and plan your both logical and physical topology first.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
dkov
Occasional Visitor

Hi Daniel, maybe you should re-think your network topology...at least from the logical standpoint: dividing a LAN into n VLANs (each VLAN can be thus assigned to a well defined Subnet by setting the VLAN IP Address) doesn't necessarily mean that you should have n uplinks to your Firewall....but you need to sit down and plan your both logical and physical topology first.

What do you suggest instead?