108797 Solutions
New Discussion

Static routes on 5412zl switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
CityofRome
Occasional Contributor

Static routes on 5412zl switch

I've got a few formerly-isolated networks that we're now configuring limited access to/from.  There's a firewall between our LAN and those networks but I can't get traffic to even get to the firewall.  I need a route in our 5412zl to those networks.  But, when I add the route, it doesn't appear in the list when I do a 'sh ip route'.

The command I'm using is 'ip route 10.x.x.x/24 172.29.x.x'.  I've added routes to this switch many times but it's been a while.  I just don't remember doing anything special to add routes in the past.  Am I missing something?

5 REPLIES 5
bala5
Frequent Advisor

Re: Static routes on 5412zl switch

-check port tagging/untagging info

-share the running config along with network topology.

Bala
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

CityofRome
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately, there would be too much to dedact to post the configuration.  The topology of what I'm trying to do is fairly simple.  The 5412zl has a trunk to a 2920 that has a port connected to the external interface on the firewall and the firewall has the other networks on one of the internal interfaces.  Just to make things more interesting, I added the route I needed on the 2920 and I could ping the networks from that switch.

There are probably 75 routes in the 5412zl and I've added every one of them.  But, I've had issues adding new routes for quite some time.  I'm sure it was a firmware issue.  But, for a while, I would attempt to add a route and the switch would hang, then reboot.  Luckily, I've been able to work around the issue every time.  But, I upgraded to the newest firmware (K.16.02.0025) three weeks ago and I still can't add routes.  The switch isn't hanging or rebooting now.  The command appears to be accepted but the route doesn't appear in the route list and the route doesn't appear to work either, although doing a 'no ip route x.x.x.....' seems to be accepted to remove the route when added.

Is the route command any different than on the 2910/15/20?  I don't remember doing anything special to add a route in the past.  I just know, at some point, I'm not going to be able to work around this issue.  Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

bala5
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Looks like the software issue as there enough resources availble to add more statis route.

Suggesting you to log a support case to investigate further.

Bala
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

parnassus
Honored Contributor

@CityofRome wrote: The command appears to be accepted but the route doesn't appear in the route list and the route doesn't appear to work either, although doing a 'no ip route x.x.x.....' seems to be accepted to remove the route when added.

It's very strange.

Since IP static routes remain in the IP route table only so long as the IP interface to the next-hop router is up...if the next-hop interface goes down then the software removes the static route from the IP route table (that's because the switch performing IP routing does not continue trying to use routes on unreachable paths but, instead, it uses routes only when their paths are reachable)...so, couldn't be that - for that given route - the path is unreacheable (is the gateway interface to that network directly connected to your 5400zl?)?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
CityofRome
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion.  The next hop is always up, as it's the trunk to one of our facilities.  You're right - it's strange.  When I was first promoted to Sys Admin, one of the first things I had to do was redesign and rebuild our entire network.  So, all of the routes in our 5412zl are entries I made.  I don't remember anything odd about creating them initially.  But, once our network had some additions, I needed to make new routes and found I couldn't.  I wonder if reseting the switch to factory defaults and reloading the config would clear things up?