1752458 Members
6227 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: UID

jprovine
Advisor

UID

I have a aruba 3810m 48 port switch that failed and did an RMA and received a switch that did no have the UID/fan in it and know that is not an optional component but I don't know exaclty what it does. All I know is when I tried to add the switch to my existing stack it would not join, and yes I did make sure it had the correct firmware on it

6 REPLIES 6
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi, can you explain it with different words? what fo you mean with "...received a switch that did no have the UID/fan in it and know that is not an optional component..."?

AFAIK the only one installable Fan Tray module - it has three fans - is required (it's a field replaceable option but it is clearly required) for the Aruba 3810M to operate correctly...exactly as it happens with the Power Supply: with regard to PS Module...it's clear that, to power on and operate, at least one PS Module is required.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
jprovine
Advisor

@parnassus 

I had a hardware failure of a switch that was a member of stack, when I sent it back to do an RMA then sent me another switch, when I looked at the back of the switch I saw the the UID module was missing and I am sure it is a piece that comes standard with a switch it not something you have to order and put it yourself. I tried to add it back to the stack and it would never join and I am trying to find out if the fact that the UID modules was missing caused it to fail and I want to know exaclty what the UID modules is. It powers on and seems to run fine it just failed to join the stack

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi @jprovine your issue is only partially clear to me...what isn't totally unclear to me is what you really mean with the wording "UID Modules" to describe a piece you remember wasn't missing on your Aruba 3810M (example: "when I looked at the back of the switch I saw the the UID module was missing and I am sure it is a piece that comes standard with a switch it not something you have to order and put it yourself")...I'm not aware of any module named just UID...supported modules - with theirs SKUs - (missing or not in your deployment) are listed on Aruba 3810M datasheet: are you able to recognize what is missing on that Datasheet?

I'm not an HPE Employee
jprovine
Advisor

@parnassus 

When you look at the back of the replacement switch they sent me this piece I have circled is missing

uid.PNG

parnassus
Honored Contributor

That missing "piece" is exactly the Fan Tray Module I wrote you about on my very first reply.

For your reference the correct HPE SKU for the Aruba 3810M Fan Tray Module is JL088A.

See here:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00026812en_us&docLocale=en_US

https://www.hpe.com/emea_europe/en/product-catalog/options/pip.networking-fans-fan-options.1008605347.html

I suggest you to call Aruba Support and explain them what happened to see if they could send you promptly the missing part.

I'm not an HPE Employee
jprovine
Advisor

@parnassus 

Yes I put a ticket in before I went to the community, and the part arrives today, But what I was looking for was if this missing piece would cause the switch not to join the stack and according to tac it will cause it to not join the stack.

Now I am trying to figure out if I can add the fan tray during production hours and not cause and outage. I know the fan tray is hot swappable but what I am not sure of is:

1. if I let it join on its own what member it will be added as and I want it as member

2. If the replacement server wil reboot of need to be rebooted.

3. If the whole stack will need to be rebooted.