LAN Routing
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to trace route IP of 2 switches connected together but traffic flows.

joecotter
Occasional Visitor

Unable to trace route IP of 2 switches connected together but traffic flows.

Hello,

I'm in the process of building a new data center site.  Today I noticed that i seem to have fairly high ping times for devices connected together on the same switch.  As well as, I'm unable to traceroute the IPs of 2 switches connected together via a trunk.  However, my network is operational.  I can ping between these switches but not traceroute.  Ping times reach >31ms.  Not to the switches themselves.  I believe this is causing my high ping times.  I have 2 HPE 5940 switches as my core.  I have 2 HPE 5130 switches that are trunked to the HPE 5940s.  

For example, one device on vlan 4 is unable to traceroute to the gateway ip on my core.  I can ping it but not trace route to it.  This devices is plugged into the 5130 which is trunked to the 5940.  

I need help figuring out what i have setup incorrently.  Hopefully someone can help.

1 REPLY
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Unable to trace route IP of 2 switches connected together but traffic flows.

traceroute traces how packets are routed (so L3)...you have a L2 Trunk between Switches (or between two IRFs, who knows?)...so what (and across which routed subnets, if any) exactly are you trying to trace?