LAN Routing
1753707 Members
5225 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Unable to trace route IP of 2 switches connected together but traffic flows.

joecotter
Occasional Visitor

Unable to trace route IP of 2 switches connected together but traffic flows.

Hello,

I'm in the process of building a new data center site.  Today I noticed that i seem to have fairly high ping times for devices connected together on the same switch.  As well as, I'm unable to traceroute the IPs of 2 switches connected together via a trunk.  However, my network is operational.  I can ping between these switches but not traceroute.  Ping times reach >31ms.  Not to the switches themselves.  I believe this is causing my high ping times.  I have 2 HPE 5940 switches as my core.  I have 2 HPE 5130 switches that are trunked to the HPE 5940s.  

For example, one device on vlan 4 is unable to traceroute to the gateway ip on my core.  I can ping it but not trace route to it.  This devices is plugged into the 5130 which is trunked to the 5940.  

I need help figuring out what i have setup incorrently.  Hopefully someone can help.

1 REPLY 1
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Unable to trace route IP of 2 switches connected together but traffic flows.

traceroute traces how packets are routed (so L3)...you have a L2 Trunk between Switches (or between two IRFs, who knows?)...so what (and across which routed subnets, if any) exactly are you trying to trace?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner