1753575 Members
6075 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion

VLAN Tagging, Cisco ASA subinterface problems

Incog
Occasional Visitor

VLAN Tagging, Cisco ASA subinterface problems

I am trying to set up a subinterface on my cisco ASA 5515.  The vlan is 18.

Computer -> switch port 47  (Trunk with pvid 18, allow 17) -> several switches connected via 10G (Set to Trunk) -> Switch port 2/13 (Trunk with pvid 18, allow 17) - ASA interface that has a sub interface of 0/4.18

All of the switches inbetween have vlan 18 on them and the 10Gb links do as well.

If I do not create a sub interface and use the physical interface all works perfectly.

Thank you for any info you can provide.

1 REPLY 1
Incog
Occasional Visitor

Re: VLAN Tagging, Cisco ASA subinterface problems

Sometimes you just have to go caveman and pound the keyboard.

"A" computer has to be plugged into a port that is set up as an "Access Port" with the PVID of 17

"B" computer has to be plugged into a port that is set up as an "Access Port" with the PVID of 18

The ASA firewall has to be plugged into a port set up as a "Trunk Port" with PVID = 1 and Allowed VLAN 17&18

The ASA interface has to be blank then through the ASDM right click and choose "ADD".  Specifiy VLANID, Sub interface ID, etc.

Create a NAT for both vlan's and automagically you have two vlans going through one interface of the ASA.

I really can't believe that I did not know this for 5 years.  Of course, my requests for Cisco and HP training have been met with "You're smart, watch some youtube videos."

T