1751956 Members
4812 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VLAN setup

amarkovi
Visitor

VLAN setup

I need help setting up a VLANs in my small office network environment.

I have a HP1920-24G managed switch (connected to the internet through a modem) and would ike to setup as follows:

- VLAN1: 3 PCs, 1 NAS

- VLAN2: 1 NAS

- VLAN3: 3 PCs

- VLAN4: 2 PCs

- VLAN5: 2 network printers

VLAN 1 should be able to access VLAN 2 and 5, and the internet

VLAN 2 should be able to access the internet

VLAN 3 should be able to access VLAN 2 and 5, and the internet

VLAN 4 should be able to access VLAN 5 and the internet

I know how to setup different VLANs, however I have no idea how to have some of the PCs in one VLAN access a NAS or a printer in another LAN.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
johnk3r
Respected Contributor

This switch model is L3? For different Vlans communicate it is necessary to have a device that do the routing....

ATP FLEXNETWORK V3 | ACSA
amarkovi
Visitor

This is what I have on Layer 3 in the specs:

Layer 3 services тАв Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) Determines the MAC address of another IP host in the same subnet; supports static ARPs; gratuitous ARP allows detection of duplicate IP addresses; proxy ARP allows normal ARP operation between subnets or when subnets are separated by a Layer 2 network тАв DHCP Relay Simplifies management of DHCP addresses in networks with multiple subnets

Layer 3 routing тАв Static IPv4/IPv6 routing Provides basic routing (supporting up to 32 static routes and 8 virtual VLAN interfaces); allows manual routing configuration

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

OK, so you can have multiple VLANs and route between their subnets using this switch.

Next question: can you filter traffic between the subnets?
 - does this switch support access lists?

An alternative to access lists would be if you manage the PCs, you might be able to enforce connectivity using Windows security...?

amarkovi
Visitor

This is what I found about access lists in the specs:

Advanced access control lists (ACLs)

enables network traffic filtering and enhances network control using MAC- and IP-based ACLs; time-based ACLs allow for greater flexibility with managing network access

But I really have no experience in what to do next

Kenzano
Occasional Visitor

How far are you on this? The 1920 series schould be able to comply with your demands...

amarkovi
Visitor

I am still looking around for tutorials and ways to create different VLANs and then have some of them communicate between each other (like computers on two separate VLANs to be able to print on a network plotter - in its own VLAN). 

I will get to it over the holidays, but if anyone has any suggestions on how to proceed and what should/should not be done I would appreciate it.