108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VRF (VRF-lite) support / documentation

SOLVED
Go to solution
3perko
Occasional Visitor

VRF (VRF-lite) support / documentation

We plan to implement solution based on H3C devices, please is there any documentation related to the vrf implementation, I cannot find any documentation related to the  VRF (VRF-lite) feature. What I have find so far was just simple statement that H3C switches do support this feature and maybe description of the feature in general, but I need some specification like how many instances, configuration of the feature and so on. Please could you send me link or at least section of the documentation where could I find these information ?

Thank you 

10 REPLIES 10
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

VRF in H3C/Comware is called vpn-instance and is configured much like VRF on a Cisco device.

#
ip vpn-instance red description Customer red # interface GigabitEthernet2/0/1 description Int to cust red ip binding vpn-instance red #

How many instances depends on the platform, you might find it lurking around the technical specs. I know the 7500 comes in flavors of 1, 32 or 256 instances depending on which modules you use.

Regards,

Fredrik

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

3perko
Occasional Visitor

Thanks a lot Fredrik, will check that technical specifications for 7500 is exactly what we plan to use.

Miro
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Im not 100% sure on how the new naming convention on HP A7500 IO blades are done but I think that the new Advanced, Extended and Enhanced  are the old EA, SD and EB modules which all have 256 VRF instances.

Regards,

Fredrik

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

C0LDWiR3D
Frequent Advisor

When I try to bind vlan interface to vpn-instance it complains about missing RD.

There is no bgp or anything else here, I just try to seperate trying from each other with VR/vpn-instance.

Cheers

manuel.bitzi
Trusted Contributor

The Switch needs RD internally.

ip vpn-instance test

route-distinguisher 1:1

H3CSE, MASE Network Infrastructure [2011], Switzerland
C0LDWiR3D
Frequent Advisor

Thanks.

I figured out how to make the route-distinguisher under the vpn-instance context as your described, just forgot to update this thread.

It works fine now.

Seems 5500EI is the first switch supporting this.

Cheers

jcarlos
Occasional Advisor

There are a document with examples about VRF.

This is the link:

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA3-7311ENW.pdf

MDella
Advisor

So I've been looking all over the internet for any example of the vpn-instance and saw these postings only to find out that the links provided are broken links.  Does anyone have a current link or a copy of the original PDF that was being referenced?  I basically can find almost no information on the HP comware based devices...

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Does anyone have a current link or a copy of the original PDF that was being referenced?

If you knew the title, you could search for it.

Here is another topic that mentions that URL:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Comware-Based/VPN-instances-without-MPLS/td-p/5858141

What info are you looking for?  Why not use google to search for that?

Here is "How to Configure VRF":

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx%2Fc03645720.pdf