1753789 Members
7906 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Vlan routing

gminnis
Occasional Contributor

Vlan routing

I just setup a test vlan 'vlan253'  on a hp 2530 switch.  I can ping that vlan from the gateway switch on the default vlan buit when I I try to ping a device on that vlan it times out.  We have multiple vlans on the default switch and it acts as the gateway for those vlans.  I am trying to get some of that traffic off of the main switch and devide it up between the switches that those vlans are physically closest to.  I am in a manufactureing environment with about 90 switches and about 30 vlans.

4 REPLIES 4
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: Vlan routing

We probably need a diagram to understand your topology.

If two devices on the same VLAN need to talk to each other, then that VLAN has to exist on every switch and on every link in the path between the two devices.

If two devices on different VLANs need to talk to each other, then they each need to have a default gateway, and the switch/router where that default gateway IP address is located needs to have a route in its routing table which enables it to reach the other switch/router.

gminnis
Occasional Contributor

I attached a drawing.  I can ping the gateway for the 192.168.253.x  vlan from my desktop, but I cant ping 192.168.253.1 which is plugged into the switch that is acting as the gateway fior this vlan.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

That's probably just the Windows firewall.

gminnis
Occasional Contributor

After doing a little research I found the switch I was useing is not a layer 3 switch.