5561 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

aggregations group

mirco-ek
Occasional Contributor

aggregations group

Hi all,

I need to create an aggregation group of 2 ports in a Layer 2 switch, I want to set the maximum number of selected ports to 1 in order to obtain a redoundancy of the port, so, if the main port goes down the other one rise up, but never the ports go up togheter.

My question is about the switch model, because not all the HP switches are able to set this parameter.

Can anyone help me to select the chiper HP switch series that permit to config "Maximum Number Of Selected Ports" on an aggregation group?

Tanks

2 REPLIES 2
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: aggregations group

mirco-ek wrote: I need to create an aggregation group of 2 ports in a Layer 2 switch, I want to set the maximum number of selected ports to 1 in order to obtain a redoundancy of the port, so, if the main port goes down the other one rise up, but never the ports go up togheter.

That isn't a property of a typical LAG (Link Aggregation Group), at least when the concept of a Link Aggregation Group is referred to/used on HPE Switches. That property is exactly the opposite of what an Aggregation Group is called to provide.

Generally when you end up speaking about a Link Aggregation Group (LAG/BAGG/Port Trunking...it has a lot of names) you're exactly referring to aggregate various physical links together (honoring some known requirements related to limits and restrictions of all physical links planned to be aggregated) exactly because you need them aggregated together to overcome resiliency issues (single link failure) and to enhance, in some scenarios more than others, the traffic througput that traverse that particular aggregated link/trunk.

IMHO you're looking for something like "Smart Link" (one port active, another one in standby mode).

Is it that?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
mirco-ek
Occasional Contributor

Re: aggregations group

Hi parnassus, 

Tanks for replay, I think you are right, I didn't know the "Smart Link" feature of HP switches yet, I think that "Smart Link" could be a good solution, but my scenario is a bit different.

I have a point to point radio link that connects Site A to Site B, the radio link has 2 trasmitters (Master and Slave) connected to one antenna by a coaxial switch and two receivers with two different antennas this for Site A and Site B.

In this scenario only one trasmitter is put on air at both Sites, while the receivers are going to receive the same signal at both Sites.

As the result I have two ethernet port that are going to receive the same packets but only the port of on air transmitter is able to trasmit the packets back to the other Site , in other words I always have one port down in one direction.

I need a switch with two ports (Master and Slave) to connecto to the radio link, the switch must be able to select the port that is up at the moment and discarge the packets received from the other one.

Do you think that "Smart Link" feature is an avaiable solution?

Can you tell me about the HP switch models with this feature?

Tanks