LAN Routing
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

challenging wide network OSPF + HP comware + OOB management :)

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

challenging wide network OSPF + HP comware + OOB management :)

Hey guys, I'm looking for your opinion on the following :

Big routed network for a country-wide tetra network. We have routers (actually L3 switches from HP) that are in several locations, all connected by various long-haul (licensed) wireless links.

My concern is : the client previously broadcasted a management vlan with all its OOB management interfaces, let's say vlan number 100. There was also a OSPF instance running on all switches connected to between 1 and 4 other switches (mesh network). On top of that STP running as well :)

I'm trying to figure out good practices I could propose them :

1st approach : change all links between switches to "route" mode and not bridge (cisco equivalent : no switchport), and then make all vlans actually routed. In this scenario, I guess I need to have on small, let's say /30 network for local management that will be routed, each location having it's all /30 management network.

2nd approach : keep the same mix as they did, with OSPF + vlans running together, good thing is the management vlan is the same everywhere and is not affected by OSPF malfunctions :D

That's a tricky question I think, 1st approach looks better to me, but I have never deployed such wide network with routing + OOB management  :) any clues ?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Frequent Advisor

Re: challenging wide network OSPF + HP comware + OOB management :)

Hi Romnetfr,

As its unclear whether you are implementing  new network or migrating existing network i would suggest to below

points. 

1st Approach:

This is simple and best to use as there won t be any STP issues while migrating and you can use any new ip segment which is /30 for migration. All the OSPF networks simply exchanged via this routed link. 

2nd Approach.

You need to consider STP port blocking if this is a migration activity. you can deploy L3 ,L2 together over trunk link for such scenario where only L2 network needs to be deployed in a environment. in case only L2 vlan to present everywhere 

just for server heartbeat kind situation.

OOB is only for manament purpose , suggesting not to use for any OSPF advertisement. 

You can use option 1 if there is no additional L2 vlan to be passed.

Bala
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo