1753261 Members
5014 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

eli5 Mac/Linux App Installation vs Windows Application Installation difference

AndresonJemmie
Occasional Visitor

eli5 Mac/Linux App Installation vs Windows Application Installation difference

This is something I've always wondered. Whevenever I install apps on my Mac it has just been a simple drag to the Application folder.

With Windows however, it's always a series of steps that an installer has to do to make the application run.

Wonder why this is so. What is exactly happening when I'm installing something on a Windows vs a Mac. Windows just makes installation seem like a complicated process

1 REPLY 1
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Re: eli5 Mac/Linux App Installation vs Windows Application Installation difference

HI @AndresonJemmie !

I am afraid this forum is not the place where you can get answer for such questions, but being Linux/Mac/Windows user I can answer it, or at least try to do it.

First, not all Mac apps install by simple icon drag and drop to the Applications directory. Some have installers too. Example: MS Office for macOs. So it's more up to the devs how to pack their application.

Mac apps that are visible to you as one single icon are bundles in fact. They contain all files needed by the application INCLUDING any libraries that the app may need. More information you can find here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundle_(macOS). If two different apps use same library, each of them will contain those libraries inside the .app file, thus it can be considered as a waste of storage space. But at the same time this protects you from the situation when one installed app needs one version of library, another app needs another and both can't co-exist in one system. So we sacrifice storage space in sake of portability, isolation and ease of use.

Windows prefers to use shared libraries model where libraries are stored in one location and is accessble by all programs that need them. That is why when Windows program installs the installer puts some files in Program Files, some into Windows\... etc. etc. Also, in order to make installed app easily accessible for the user, installer needs to create Start menu entries, sometimes desktop icons. Of course if you need some specific libraries you can always store them inside application's directory, so again you may get your app working with specific version. Also, Windows (AFAIK) doesn't have anything close to .app bundles. Portable apps? But you need to create manually Start menu entries and shortcuts for portables, so it's close, but not exactly the same.

In Linux we have possibility to use both approaches. Bundles - Snap, Flatpak, AppImage. RPM, DEB or even 'make install' are close to 'installer' type apps.

Hope this helps!

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo