1752861 Members
3737 Online
108790 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

wol 1920s

manustar

wol 1920s

hi everyone, I'm having problems with the wol, I have devices that I would like to turn on remotely.
my infrastructure consists of a 1920s 24poe switch and a pfsense firewall which acts as a dhcp, dns, router.

there are configured 3 VLANs

192.168.1.0/24

192.168.10.0/24

192.168.20.0 / 24
my need is to use the wol on the same VLAN so no routing is needed, which in my case is always 192.168.1.0/24

8 REPLIES 8
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Re: wol 1920s

Hi @manustar !

WoL magic packets are just broadcast Ethernet frames and I don't see how our switch will interfere with these, especially if you don't want directed broadcasts to be forwarded between VLANs. 

What issues do you have with WoL in particular and why do you thing 1920 has something to do with them?

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

manustar

i am doing reverse engineering, technically i know that if wol is in the same lan there should be no problem, the point is that i have noticed that since a better switch (1920s) and firewall have been added, some devices (including smart tv) they do not turn on remotely.

Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Do you generate WoL packets from the pfsense or you have a separate server for this task?

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

manustar

I use other servers for package generator

Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Got it. Then you can use packet capture on end stations and/or port mirroring of switch ports to see if packets go through the switch.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

manustar

on smart tv in can't.

the 1920s not have a cli for tpdump, its correct? 

Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Thinking about how 1920s can affect WoL magic packets I've realized that there is one feature that could potentially affect WoL propagation and in particular forwarding of WoL out of switchport where you have end host connected.

https://internal.support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00003478en_us , page 196. Disable BOTH 'Auto Port Power-Down' and 'Low-Power Idle (EEE)' on all ports and monitor your network for a couple of days.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Ivan_B
HPE Pro

On SmartTV no, you cannot make a packet capture unless it's rooted Android with tcpdump or something similar installed, but we won't go in that direction. You can see those packets on any port in the same VLAN since they are broadcast, so you can monitor this with tcpdump/wireshark enabled on a PC connected to a switchport in the same VLAN with your SmartTVs.

1920s doesn't have CLI, but it has a port mirroring. More details in the reference guide I've shared.

Nevertheless, check my previous message, I think disabling green features might help, but only and only if the switch itself drops those packets, which we don't know at this point.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo