1753512 Members
5133 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding SAN switch

SOLVED
Go to solution

Adding SAN switch

Hello. I have my server attached to (2) VA disk arrays via (4) HBAs. Each VA controller is attached to its own HBA. I want to install a SAN switch between the HBAs and VAs. My question is: Are the device IDs going to change for all of the LUNs assigned? I am assuming they are. Am I going to need to vgexport and vgimport? Thanks!
Yesterday was the first day of the rest of your life
3 REPLIES 3
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

>>My question is: Are the device IDs going to change for all of the LUNs assigned?

YES

>>Am I going to need to vgexport and vgimport?

YES

When doing the vgexport/vgimport be sure to use the '-s' switch to insert the VGID into the map file.

Say your VG is VG01:

# vgexport -m /var/tmp/vg01.map -p -v -s vg01

When you vgimport

# vgimport -m /var/tmp/vg01.map -v -s vg01

The '-s' switch will search for disks matching the VGID in the vg01.map file so you don't have to manually specify the disk devices on the vgimport command line.

Thanks!
Yesterday was the first day of the rest of your life
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Bonsoir Lawrence,

When you work with SAN switch, HP-UX hardware path take care of the ID of the switch and the number of the port on wich the storage is connected. Unless you are working with HP-UX 11iv3, the special disks file names will do change

So you will have do export/import the VG ... sorry !

Just a precision. You said "I want to install a SAN switch between the HBAs and VAs." Nice. But, just one switch ? If yes be aware that the switch will become a SPOF. You should at least add 2 switch.

Hope this will help

Regards

Eric