1753599 Members
6029 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding alternate path uisng pvlinks

Bob Manocchia
Regular Advisor

Adding alternate path uisng pvlinks

I need to add an alternate path to an existing active volume group. I can see the two paths. I need to add the alternate path. My question is do I need to run pvcreate on the alternate path then run vgextend of can I just run vgextend to add the alternate path.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

use vgextend only, pvcreate will destroy your data.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bob Manocchia
Regular Advisor

Thanks. The reason I asked was that HP first line told me to run pvcreate. It didn't make sense to me but I had difficulty adding the paths without running pvcreate but I think my problem is elsewhere.

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Bob:

Alternate LVM links (otherwise known as 'pvlinks') are simply additional paths to the same physical disk. Therefore, you don't need nor would you want to run a 'pvcreate'.

The first path defined for a particular physical disk (during a 'vgcreate') is the "primary" link. Thereafter, additional paths are "secondary" links. Often, such secondary links are added with a 'vgextend'. A 'vgdisplay" will show the primary and secondary links. Examining '/etc/lvmtab' will show the same order since that is where the definition of a "primary" link begins.

To promote a secondary path to primary, simply 'vgreduce' the primary link and then 'vgextend' it back into the volume group again.

Regards!

...JRF...
Bob Manocchia
Regular Advisor

Thanks everyone.
Bob Manocchia
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the info. Like I said I think my problems are elsewhere. I can see what I think are the alternate paths but I cannot add them.