5205 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding new LUN to VxVM in two node SG cluster

SOLVED
Go to solution

Adding new LUN to VxVM in two node SG cluster

Hi,
We have a number of SG clusters running LVM, and I am familiar with the process of adding new LUNs with LVM. However, I've been asked to add new LUNs to an existing VxVMdisk group in a two node SG cluster. What I don't fully grasp after reading a fair bit of doco, after I've added the LUN to primary side and extended the LV and FS, how do I get the diskgroup on the standby node to pick up the new LUN?
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Adding new LUN to VxVM in two node SG cluster

All covered here:

http://docs.hp.com/en/B3936-90140/ch05s01.html#babcbcgc

Basically yopu don't have to import the disk groups on the other nodes as VxVM will do that every time the package fails over... all you have to do is make sure VxVM is aware of the other disks on the other nodes for which you basically:

vxdg deport

on the primary node and then run

vxdctl enable

on the standby node

Thats it pretty much...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor
Solution

once you add the disk to the disk group on the primary node and extend the volumes (not logical volumes that is LVM speak) and the filesystems when that package is moved to the other system it should pickup the disks.

On the standby node you can execute

vxdisk -o alldgs list

after you add the disk to the disk group on the other system. It should show up. If it does not you can refresh the vxvm daemons to pickup the disks and what disk group they belong to. You will notice the disk group in parenthesis which means it is not active on the local node.

Good luck..

Thanks Emil!
Solution was to run the rescan command
#vxdctl enable
on standby node followed by
#vxdisk -o alldgs list
to verify that it picked up the new LUNs.

Probably didn't help that there was a Metrocluster in the mix here as well!

You prompt suggestions were much appreciated.

Regards,
John Fjeldberg