New Discussion

Re: Base VXFS and filesystems > 2TB

SOLVED
Go to solution
CFowler
Occasional Contributor

Base VXFS and filesystems > 2TB

Two Questions -

Can I create a file system larger than 2TB using the Base VxFS  product that comes with the HP-UX BOE? We have not have a license for onlineJFS

If so, can anybody point me to a man page or other official HP document that mentions that Base VxFs is limited to < 2TB so that I can supply this to management?

Thanks in advance

Chris

6 REPLIES 6
Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor

Yes you can. See the man page for mkfs_vxfs.  When creating the file system you use the -F vxfs option and the -o largfiles.  Then look at man 1m mount_vxfs. You will be using the same two flags in your mount command too! Including the entries you make in /etc/fstab.

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Ken -- He asked about 2 TB file systems, not files larger than 2 GB.  The 2 GB+ files ability is controlled by the largefiles parameter.

CFowler
Occasional Contributor

I found a document dated june 2011 at http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02919889/c02919889.pdf called "Supported File and File System Sizes for HFS and JFS where it specifically states in a foornote "Creation of greater than 2TB and lesser then 32GB filesystems requires OnlineJFS license."  The links provided in the earlier posts do not mention the requirement for an OnlineJFS license. Anyhow I  am now pretty sure that a  > 2TB filesystem needs onlineJFS as I do seem to recall once trying to create one and getting  a message along the lines that I did not have a license for onlineJFS.

CFowler
Occasional Contributor

Patrick,

I missed the first link you provided. It goes to the same pdf I mentioned where the OnlineJFS requirement is mentioned for filesystems > 2TB

Thanks

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

You are correct!  I completely  missed the footnotes.  Good catch.