New Discussion юеВ

Re: Boot disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Guster
Trusted Contributor

Boot disk

Here is the case:
vg00 has 7 lvols on disk A. The mirroring disk B only has lvol1, 2, and 3 for /stand, swap, and / . Rest lvols have not mirrored yet to disk B. Will the system boot from disk B at this point?
Any idea?
7 REPLIES 7
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi John:

Yes, assuming that the second disk was correctly 'pvcreate'd; and s 'mkboot' done for it; and assuming that the first three logical volumes were mirrored in their ordinal sequence.

Of course, you need to mirror your remaining logical volumes too. After all, a mirror of vg00 without anything more than '/stand' and the root filesystem doesn't gain you much more than single user mode. It could be likened to having a head without a body.

Regards!

...JRF...
John Guster
Trusted Contributor

I can not recall when the mirror disk is activated during booting process. Will this booting bring system up to init 3, instead of single user mode? Thanks for your response.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) John:

> Will this booting bring system up to init 3, instead of single user mode?

The run level is set in '/etc/inittab'. Since '/etc' and '/sbin' are only directories beneath '/' the system will attempt to run all of the startup scripts in '/sbin/init.d' through run-level 3 if you don't specifically boot into single-user mode. Failures in some of the scripts are certain, since the mounting (at run-level 1) of the missing filesystems for the missing logical volumes will fail.

Regards!

...JRF...
John Guster
Trusted Contributor

lvmrc activates vg00 during booting process. as long as vg00 is activated, all lvols are avaliable for mounting regardingless if the lvol is mirrored or not. In this case the system should be brought up to default run level 3 with all file systems defined in /etc/fstab mounted. I don't see why it would fail due to lvols not on booting disk.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi (again) John:

> lvmrc activates vg00 during booting process. as long as vg00 is activated, all lvols are avaliable for mounting regardingless if the lvol is mirrored or not. In this case the system should be brought up to default run level 3 with all file systems defined in /etc/fstab mounted. I don't see why it would fail due to lvols not on booting disk.

Yes, all of the above are true. My original answers were predicted on the assumption that you were booting from a disk with *only* lvol1-3 as in after a failure of the primary disk. In that case, why mirror? In fact, what are you trying to accomplish, or is this solely an academic question? I presume that you want a useful server, not just one that boots.

Regards!

...JRF...
John Guster
Trusted Contributor

I have a messy system. Need bring it down to replace tape drive. It is kind of no ignite image because of bad tape drive. Once tape drive is replaced, we will reignite the system, make it up right.
Thank you for your inputs.
John Guster
Trusted Contributor

thanks for prompt discussion.