LVM and VxVM

Can I change the PE size on a VG?

Dan Hoyt
Advisor

Can I change the PE size on a VG?

I have a VG that has a PE size of 4 (default -way to small for todays disk sizes) and I need to add larger disks to the system. Can I change the PE size on the VG to a larger number? If so how. If now what would you suggest? Thanks in advance.

Dan
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Can I change the PE size on a VG?

No, the PE size can not be changed without destroying the VG and recreating it.

Needless to say this would also entail backing up all of your data, destroy the VG, recreate the VG and LVs and then restore your data.

In the meantime about all you can do is add the new disks into the VG. You will be able to use part of the capacity but likely not all of the capacity on the disk.
Dan Hoyt
Advisor

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured that was the answer I was just hoping for a diffrent one.
Gordon Bonnar

Also Dan, depending on what you will be using the VG for, a PE of 4MB might be ok, but to accomadate larger drives you might try setting the PE/PV higher when you recreate the VG. The default is 1016 Physical Extents per Physical Volume (PE/PV), and with an Physical Extent (PE)size of 4MB this limits you to a 4GB drive.

When creating the volume group use -e to change the PE/PV and -s to change the PE size. Hope this explanation helps a bit.
Dan Hoyt
Advisor

Thanks