New Discussion юеВ

Re: Change mounted file system name

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ngoh Chean Siung
Super Advisor

Change mounted file system name

Hi,

There is a logical volume created as file system and mounted as /abc.

1) Can I change the mounted name?
2) If yes, will it affect the end users that are using this file system?
3) What is the command to change it? How about in SAM?
4) The shadow password is not applicable for trusted system. Am I right? But as I know, it is a new HP feature.

regards
9 REPLIES 9
Dave Olker
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi,

1. Yes
2. Yes, but in order to change the filesystem name you need to unmount the filesystem, which you won't be able to do if processes are using the filesystem.
3. Unmount the current filesystem, create a new empty directory with the desired name, mount the logical volume using the new directory name, change the /etc/fstab entry for this filesystem to reflect the new name
4. Yes, Shadow is independent of Trusted.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Very rightly explained by Dave..just to add something..

Make sure that no user uses the old mount point path.

for e.g Your are changing mount point from /abc to /xyz then:
The entire file structure in the filesystem will accessed with the path starting with /xyz/../..
So this should be oaky with all users.

Hope that helps.
Regards,

You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor

Hi,
1)YEs
2)yes only till the time you mount and unmount the filesystem the user won't be able to access that filesystem
3)Create the directory where you want to mount the filesystem, fstab file change the name of the directory therecorresponding to that filesystem,unmount hte filesystem & mount it again.
4) NO,shadow password is not applicable for Trusted systems.

I am assuming that you don't have any application (or dependent application using the filesystem by that ndirectory name) &
It's a pure data filesystem & you are very well versed with the impact of change from the software point of view.

Regards,
I'll sleep when i am dead.
Ngoh Chean Siung
Super Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for your fast response.

Just wonder if there are some users stiil using the file system, what will happen? Any impact?

regards
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor

Hi,
You cannot unmount the filesystem till you kill all the processes running using that filesystem.
If you cannot unmount that means you cannot change the mount point....

Regards,
I'll sleep when i am dead.
Ngoh Chean Siung
Super Advisor

Hi,

What you mean is if there is a user open a file at this file system, when I doing the unmount, system will prompt me an error and the unmount process is fail. Am I right?

How about if the logical volume created as raw device which has an application (informix)? Can I rename the mounted file system with the above proposed steps?

regards.
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

HI,
If any user is using the files on the mounted file system..then umount will give you "device busy error" and won't allow you to unmount.
In that case you either issue "wall" command to notify all users about this activity or use fuser command to kill the associated processes with the fielsystem.
Suppose it is mount on /abc then
# fuser -cu /abc
Give you the list of active users
# fuser -kuc /abc
This will forcefully kill all user processes and then you will be able to umount the filesystem.

Hope that helps.
Regards,

You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

You could create a symbolic link so that your user can access the file immediately. That way there is no need to unmount, and you can still access the filesystem with the original name.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

If you rename an Informix raw volume, the database will crash. Like all databases, they are configured to use specific names for disk spaces and if you change the names, the database will no longer function. Your database administrator can tell you about the amount of work needed to reconfigure the database in case you rename the raw volumes.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin