New Discussion юеВ

Re: Change volume sizes in a VXVM diskgroup

SOLVED
Go to solution
uadm26
Super Advisor

Change volume sizes in a VXVM diskgroup

Hi guys,
In a system hp-ux 11.23 ia64, with Base VERITAS Volume Manager Bundle 4.1, I need change my diskgroup configuration in a size volume level. I want to reduce a volume to increase that size in other:
Reduce 75Gb in /dev/vx/dsk/dg_dados01/lvol_u06
and increase 75Gb in /dev/vx/dsk/dg_dados01/lvol_u04. There's something I need to care about? Since that FS's have oracle datafiles. It's safe to make this change with DB online. How to do that?

Thanks for all.
5 REPLIES 5
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Provided that you leave the volume you want to shrink by 75G enough space for your Oracle to cope with it, there should be no problem.
Assuming these are VxFS filesystems you could either do a two step reduction of filesystem first and then the volume by "fsadm" and then "vxassist ... shrinkby", or easier yet in one go by "vxresize".
Then those extents spanning the 75G should be available for either two step "vxassist ... growby" and subsequent "fsadm", or one step "vxresize" of the other volume.
Since both volumes are part of the same disk group VxVM will automatically reallocate the extents for you.
This can be done with the DB online, though a minor performance impact could be noticable during reallocation.
Madness, thy name is system administration
Robert-Jan Goossens_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

have a look at this doc.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/285720

Regards,
Robert-Jan
uadm26
Super Advisor

Hi,
I take a look to my system, and don't have Online JFS installed. To shrink the volume in enable state I need OnlineJFS, right? Can you give me the steps (commands) to make this change safely?
I will do a Business Copy backup with BD in offline state.
Then I need to shrink the volume and FS in 75Gb, but I don't have OnlineJFS.
Then increase the other volume and FS in 75Gb.
If to make this I lost data, I have a backup to restore.

Thanks for all.
Robert-Jan Goossens_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

To shrink the volume in enable state I need OnlineJFS, right? --> No

If you use LVM and you would like to change the size of a volume online you should install OnlineJFS. You are using VXVM.

Create a backup, start vea, select volumes, select your volume (lvol_u04) right click, change size, or use the example in the link I gave you.

Regards,
Robert-Jan
uadm26
Super Advisor

Hi, guys
I test in a new volume called test and works fine it's very cool and easy. Thanks.