5022 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Couldn't activate volume group

SOLVED
Go to solution

Couldn't activate volume group

Hello everyone,

I have a server which runs a MC/SG package. This package mounts several disks from our SAN which are also presented to another server in our cluster where the package can fail over. This set up works fine.

I have connected to the first server where my package runs, a SCSI disk array which I use to mirror the volumes from the SAN. So, if for some reason my SAN becomes unavailable, the mirror on my disk array will keep my apps going. This set up also works fine.

Here is my problem :

If my first server crashes and my package fails over to the cluster's other server which does not have the disk array connected, when the package tries to activate my VGs I get the following error message :

vgchange: Couldn't activate volume group "/dev/vg10":
Quorum not present, or some physical volume(s) are missing.

Is there a way for my package to activate the VGs even though the physical volume used for the mirror is not defined on my second cluster server?

Thanks.

Richard.
4 REPLIES 4
Marco Santerre
Honored Contributor

My guess is that you will have to modify your cntl file to include a " -q n" option where the vgchange command is defined so that it ignores the quorum.
Cooperation is doing with a smile what you have to do anyhow.
hari jayaram_1
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Richard

Since you do not the local disks on your second cluster then please try the option -q n which says no quorum. I would however rethink this solution as when the cluster fails back you will have to resynch the disks and this may take a long time.
A better way of doing this would be to ensure that you have a good raid level on your SAN.
SS_6
Valued Contributor

You can try manually importing volume group only with the disks whicg are visible to that server. No service guard involved. you have to use a map file for that vg.
see man for vgcreate.
vgimport -m /vgxx.map -v /dev/vgdrnfsa
/dev/dsk/cxtxdx /dev/dsk/cxtxdx ......
By providing solutions I am helping myself

Thanks all.

It did solve my problem although the vgchange man page does not recommend using the -q n option.

Hari,

Yes, I know that it will rebuild the mirror as soon as I transfer the package back. This set up was put in place just in case the SAN gets physically destroyed by fire or any other circumstance. The server on which the disk array is connected is in a different location from the SAN. Since we can't afford 2 SANs, this is the best we can do.

Thanks again to all,

Richard.