New Discussion юеВ

Create Vx Volume Groups having LVM root encapsulated

SOLVED
Go to solution
Efraim G
Occasional Contributor

Create Vx Volume Groups having LVM root encapsulated

Hi,
I just installed two new HP_UX 11.11 servers.
The only difference between them is that the first one (A) is installed with VxVM root volume encapsulation and the other one (B) with LVM.
I could create an LVM volume in A but when trying to create a new Vx volume in B it fails. The vxconfigd daemon is not running and I can't enable it.
There is some boot configuration that I need to use to use VxVM in the B server too?
Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Re: Create Vx Volume Groups having LVM root encapsulated

Efraim,

Simple.. just launch vxinstall...

And follow the prompts... or from SAM, laucnch VEA from the Disks menu.

Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Zinky
Honored Contributor
Solution

And note as well that under 11.11 (VxVM 3.5) - on your LVM rooted system - you will still need to carve a rootdg Diskgroup (with very small disks that should not contain any data -- we use 100MB disks..). ROOTDG diskgroup is still a pre-requisite under VxVM 3.5 ...

So uner VEA or vxinstall, carve yourself a small rootdg with one or 2 very small disks and your other DGs ... the process should be pretty straightforward..
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Efraim G
Occasional Contributor

Great

Thanks!!
Efraim G
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Nelson.
It did the job.