108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Create a file system

SOLVED
Go to solution
Feljav
Frequent Advisor

Create a file system

I created a LUN in a VA storage. Now, in the OS, I have two device files for the same disk. When I create a VG refering to that disk, do I have to indicate both device files in the command line?
4 REPLIES 4
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Re: Create a file system

From "man vgcreate":

"You can specify physical volume links (pv-links) for a physical volume providing different paths that reference the same physical volume in the pv_path list. The order in which the paths are listed is important. The first path becomes the primary link to the physical volume, the second becomes an alternate link to the physical volume."

Pete

Pete
Berd
Trusted Contributor

Feljav,

It's not essential to supply both device files, but it certainly makes sense to as you will then have 2 paths to the disk. Providing resilience, and performance offerings.

Berd
spex
Honored Contributor

The best way to designate primary and alternate links is to specify both PVs within the 'vgcreate' command. However, you can also add an alternate path after VG creation via the 'vgextend' command.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Do you have to? no - but you might as well - else you have to run a vgextend later - if you want to use that other path that is.

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.