108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Created a new vg/lv's on a Jamaica Array and the disk shows as Unused in SAM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hawaiian Airlines
Occasional Contributor

Created a new vg/lv's on a Jamaica Array and the disk shows as Unused in SAM

Using SAM has anyone come across seeing a disk showing as unused after creating a new vg/lvâ s.
See attachment for more details.

Than
11 REPLIES 11
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Created a new vg/lv's on a Jamaica Array and the disk shows as Unused in SAM

Hi Drake

Is this the alternate path you are talking about ?

If not then look at SAM patches. Also make sure your systems QPK and HWE patches are up to date.

Also have a look in the syslog and the /var/sam/samlog for any spurious error messages.

Regards
Gerhard
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Re: Created a new vg/lv's on a Jamaica Array and the disk shows as Unused in SAM

HI,
Can you post this output.
# ioscan -fnC disk
It looks like device /dev/dsk/c6t15d0 has mulitple paths.
Regards,
You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
bhavin asokan
Honored Contributor

hi,

pls check all the disks are present(claimed) in ioscan and then check the lvmtab file

#strings /etc/lvmtab

copy lvmtab file to a different file name and run vgscan

#cp -p /etc/lvmtab /etc/lvmtab.old
#vgscan -a

regds,
bhavin asokan
Honored Contributor

hi,

ensure that utilisation of system is less at the time of activity.see the vgscan man page for more details.
If /etc/lvmtab is destroyed, do not use vgscan to re-construct
/etc/lvmtab if the system is heavily loaded by an application.
Otherwise, vgscan will create an incomplete /etc/lvmtab due to a known
NIKE/LVM limitation issue. It's important to quiesce the logical
volume's I/O before re-constructing the /etc/lvmtab.

If for some reason, there is a need to re-construct /etc/lvmtab when
the system is running production application, vgscan will create a
partial /etc/lvmtab. In this case, most of the primary paths should
be included in the /etc/lvmtab. Use vgextend to include any missing
alternate paths in the VG.

regds,

Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

How about just using "vgscan -p" since this will not update your /etc/lvmtab.
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

Look at the LENGTH of the vgname.
I see it is longer than SAM's report. Maybe that's screwing up SAM. That's my best guess.

Maybe you need a patch? Search on SAM and Jamaica in patches?

I have a Jamaica array too. I'm running hpux11.0. I have never see this report of yours. But I also try not to use SAM.

steve
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

did you run
ioscan -funH 10/16/4.15.0 and see the disk?

did you run
ls -l /dev/dsk/c6t15d0
maybe the device file is missing but you don't see that because /etc/lvmtab has it?

If that's the case, and the device is present, "insf -e" would reinstall the driver for that disk. Run "man insf"
Hawaiian Airlines
Occasional Contributor

See attachment for more information. This problem I believe is not a vg or lv problem, itâ s a problem with the device file not being recognized for a disk. We already removed and created the device files but the disk does not recognize
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor
Solution

At the bottom of your attachment I did NOT see the device file. But I see in your ioscan that the disk is "CLAIMED".
It looks like all you need to do is run "insf -e" to rebuild the disk device files.

On another note, I have had a problem with "hot-swappable" jamaica disk drives and V-Class HP9000's. Do NOT just pull the disk, and reseat it. Shutdown first. One painful day me and the hp engineer pulled one dead, mirrored disk. When we pulled it, it trashed the other 7 disks in the disk array (i.e. trashing the WHOLE computer).
So think twice about pulling a disk while everything is up. The term "HOT-swappable" took on a whole new painful meaning.

!!!!!
> <
O