6302 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DS8000 disk array and host base striping

SOLVED
Go to solution
JOE L. TAYLOR JR

DS8000 disk array and host base striping

I'm in the process of attaching our rp7420, oracel database server and a rp5470 a front-end server to a DS8000 disk array. In the IBM documentation it recommends host base striping with a stripe size between 4mb and 64mb. If I choose a 4mb stripe do I need to create my file system with a block size of 4mb as recommended in other posts where it is recommended to match FS block size with stripe size. Is 4mb stripe size to large?
8 REPLIES 8
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Re: DS8000 disk array and host base striping

It depends but generally Oracle is happy with 8K block size. However other savvy DBAs prefer multiple block sizes which started to be possible I think with Oracle 9i.

Our stripe sizes on our 4 or 8 way stripes range anywhere between 32K (OLTP) to 128K (DSS). 64K stripe sizes are for our general purpose DB instances.

4MB stripe sizes seems particularly large to me but if thay is IBM's best practice then...

Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Joe,

Well if you use host-based striping then the smallest stripe available would be the smallest PE size available which is 1 MB.
And this is achieved using extent-based striping.
Anything smaller "must" be array-based.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Not if you are using VxVM.

vxassist -g ds800dg make oravol1 layout=striped ncols=8 stwidth=64

(If you've the proper ASL, it will intelligently pick the lUNS for ya.)

Or if you are using non-extent based striping with LVM..(of course I cannot say for sure since we ditched LVM before I could play around with striping on thet VM)
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Nelson's correct of course.
I was referring to mirrored host-based striping.
If the array will be a RAID of some sort then host-based mirroring would not be required & host-based striping can size from 4 KB to 32768 KB in powers of 2.
So what you want is doable.

Rgds,
Jeff
JOE L. TAYLOR JR

We would be using LVM to configure the disk. The lv and file system that I was going to mimic in this test was striped for 3 disk with a stripe size of 128. The file system block size is 8k. My big concern was the huge difference between a 128k stripe size and a 4mb stripe size. And then if I did make the stripe size 4mb would I need to create the block size for the file system at 4mb as well. Again big gap between 8k and 4mb, so I wasn't sure if this was a valid configuration. Thanks for your ideas on this.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi (again) Joe,

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the block size. I never found a compelling reason to deviate from the default 8 KB size.
It only affects the buffer cache read ahead performance. And only when reads will be *hugely* contigous & little randomness would it pay to increase it.

My 2 cents,
Jeff
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

I should also add that another reason you don't really need to adjust block size is that there are kernel parameters that can be set to "tune" the read ahead size - such as for 11i:

vxfs_max_ra_kbytes
vxfs_ra_per_disk

Rgds,
Jeff
JOE L. TAYLOR JR

Will leave block size at 8k. Will contact IBM regarding stripe size, 4mb seems too high.