108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Deleting a volume group

SOLVED
Go to solution
rewt
Occasional Contributor

Deleting a volume group

I was trying to get rid of a volume group on my system and I did it completely wrong I think. I did a vgexport /dev/vgXX...I didn't use the -m to export the configuration information. When I attempt to do a pvcreate it still says that the physical disk is part of that volume group. How do I completely disassociate that volume group from the physical disk so that I can do a pvcreate? Or is there any easier way around this? I basically just want to reformat this disk and recreate the same volume group on the same disk because the superblock was corrupted.
Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Deleting a volume group

Hi:

Try:

# pvcreate -f /dev/rdsk/cXtXdX

just make sure you have the right disk!

...JRF...
Byron Myers
Trusted Contributor

Rewt,
DO a "pvcreate -f
This will force the pvcreate. If you vgreduce a disk out of a VG, then you don't need the "-f" option of pvcreate, but using a vgexport to "delete" the volume group will require the "-f" option of pvcreate.
If you can focus your eyes far and straight enough ahead of yourself, you can see the back of your head.
Andreas Voss
Honored Contributor

Hi,

if the pvcreate -f ... does not work i do this hack to desytoy lvm informations on the disk:
prealloc /var/tmp/scratch 2000000
dd if=/var/tmp/scratch of=/dev/rdsk/c?t?d0 bs=64k
rm /var/tmp/scratch
Watch out for the correct devive else you have the risk of destroying other data.

Regards
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Hi,

There's nothing wrong with using vgexport to remove a volume group from the system - it's the quickest way to do it. The only issue is that the disks still know that they are part of a VG (which might be vgimported into a system) and warn you when you attempt to pvcreate them.

As the others have stated, the -f flag to pvcreate overrides the objection.

Regards,
John
rewt
Occasional Contributor

That worked...thanks!
Bryan Dees
Occasional Contributor

I think mediainit /dev/rdsk/c#t#d# would
work as well.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

One last note. I think you could avoided all of this by using the vgremove command ??