4614 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Disabling Secure Path

Anoopkumarp
Advisor

Disabling Secure Path

Hi support,

We are migrating our storage from HP EVA to  vMAX ,could you please guide me which multipathing s/w is best to use ,

I think for HPUX 11.11 i need to remove the existing secure path and install power path.for Hpux 11.31 how do I disable native   multi-pathing?

Please help me...

Thanks

Anoop

3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The native multipathing of HP-UX 11.31 handles vMAX just fine. You should evaluate whether or not you need the additional features of PowerPath in 11.31 systems enough to pay the price of PowerPath licenses for those systems.

The native multipathing is an integral part of HP-UX 11.31. The PowerPath installation guide says: "When PowerPath is installed on a system running HP-UX 11.31, PowerPath is inserted in the IO stack above [native multipathing]. By default, PowerPath will assume management of all PowerPath supported storage classes and thus provide IO path selection on those devices". In other words, when PowerPath is installed, it automatically overrides native multipathing by default - you don't have to disable anything manually.

If you want to use 11.31 native multipathing on a system that has PowerPath installed, or on just some devices, check out the PowerPath command "powermt unmanage".

On HP-UX 11.23 and older, PowerPath can coexist with HP Secure Path.

MK
Matthew Morse
Occasional Contributor

Hi Matti,

I have a similar question:

Q: I am trying to migrate off of a clarion to an XP array and was wondering if I could install secure path with power path already running HP-UX 11.23 IA64.

Q: Is there a document or matrix that shows the interoperability of these two products on the same server?

Matt

Anoopkumarp
Advisor

Hi ,

You can go to emc power link site and check the release notes for power path.They have explained this in details.

Thanks

Anoop