108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Disk Addition in VG

Dinesh_15
Frequent Advisor

Disk Addition in VG

Hi Gurus

I need some suggestions.. Please help
I am having two rp3410 servers with 11i having latest patch bundles, configured in MCSG 11.16 Environemnt.

There is one VG( VG02) in cluster awrae mode, with one package running in production server, configured to fail over to development server. Failover is manual.

Now I have to add four disks in the that VG(VG02).This Vg is having two disks with 8 lvols. The distribution is as follows.
One lv in one disk(PV) having mirror copy in other disk(PV).

Now after adding four new disk, my VG will have 6 disks. I want a situation as follows.
One pv having a lv and having mirror copy in other .. In brief

Source Mirror

PV1 PV4
PV2 PV5
PV3 PV6

Is PVG strict mirroring is the only way to satisfy the above condition?
If yes how to do that?

My existing two disks are already having all the LVs configured.I have to add disks and extend the LV. This is what I supposed to do.

I know about exporting and importing in adoptive node after VG creation in Primary..

Please guide... if possible with a small diagram

Rgds
Dinu

4 REPLIES 4
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Re: Disk Addition in VG

Hi Dinu,

Either add these PVs in different PVGs, make the lv pvg-strict (-s g) and then extend the mirrors. That will guarantee that the LV will not have mirrors on the same PV but doesn't guarantee a specific PV. So, create/extend the lvs manually by specifying the destination PV. For ex., Here is how you can create an LV with primary on PV2 and mirror on PV5.

lvcreate -n lvol2 vgxx
lvextend -L 1024 /dev/vgxx/lvol2 PV2
newfs -F vxfs /dev/vgxx/rlvol2
lvextend -m 1 /dev/vgxx/lvol2 PV4

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Sandip Ghosh
Honored Contributor

You can always extend the LVs specifying the PVname at the end of the argument. In that way it will extend on the particular PV. Same case for the mirror also. After extending the standard and the mirror, but before extending the filesystem, check it through lvdisplay. Otherwise if you extend it first and see that there is a problem, then it will be difficult to comeback and rectify the prob.

Hope it helps.
Good Luck!!!
Nguyen Anh Tien
Honored Contributor

1. Create physical 4 disk
#pvcreate -f /dev/rdsk/cxtxdx
2. Create Vg
vgextend vgxx /dev/dsk/cxtxdx