4839 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Disk Mirroring and Striping

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jerry Owens

Disk Mirroring and Striping

Am in the process of procurring 2 new L 1000 servers running HP 11.0 with a group of (10) SC10 disks shared between them. Would like to mirror them and then stripe a portion of them. Is this feasible?
4 REPLIES 4
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Re: Disk Mirroring and Striping

It most certainly is feasible to stripe any disk(s) you want. If youre going to stripe and mirror then use the lvcreate -D (distributed) option.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
John Palmer
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes,

Mirroring requires the add-on MirrorDiskUX software for HP-UX.

Striping is a normal feature of Logical Volume Manager (LVM).

Mirroring and striping of the same logical volume can only be done at a physical extent level. Search the ITRC for information on extent based striping.

Another alternative is that HP have recently made RAID controller cards available for the L series which can use the SC10 disk subsystem.

Hope this helps,
John
Vince Inman
Frequent Advisor

Certainly is feasible and IMO recommended. You can use the -D (distributed) switch on the lvcreate command to do this very easily.
As well, you will need to set the -s g switch on the lvcreate command (pvg strict). Before starting, setup two PVG's for the VG in the /etc/lvmpvg, say VG_primary and VG_mirror and you'll be able to do it with one command:

lvcreate -l <# extents> -n -D y -s g -m 1 /dev/vgxx
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

There is a big difference between block level striping ( -i & -I options ) and extent level striping ( -D option ) in terms of efficiency and throughput. Block level is best, but the Mirrordisk product does not allow both block level striping and mirroring in the same volume. If you are going to do extent level striping (still a good idea), it is best to have extents as small as possible. The default LVM extent size is 4MB. Reducing it to the smallest value (1MB) is best but there are limitations in the overall size of the volume group table which may prevent you from reducing the PE size this far if you are using large disks or you have many physical disks allocated for the group. In any case, adjusting PE size can only be defined at the time of volume group creation, so you may need to rebuild the volume group first to achieve a smaller PE size. The new raid controller sounds like a good option where it will probably allow for block level striping with the controller handling the actual mirroring at the hardware level. I have not played with it, so I can't be sure. But I wonder how this controller would fit into a shared machine environment.