2899 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Do my servers support Online Vxresize?

Haim Lichaa
Advisor

Do my servers support Online Vxresize?

Hi,
I'd like to resize (grow) a vxfs volume only I'm not sure if I have the Full-VxFS or the Lite-VxFS. Looks as if we only have the Base VxFS. Is this the same as Lite-VxFS (no resize while fs is mounted)?

Here is a part of our swlist output:

# swlist -l product |grep -i vxfs|grep -v PH
DiskQuota-Enh B.11.23.03a Disk quota enhancements for VxFS4.1
FSCmdsEnh B.11.23.03a File-system commands enhancement for VxFS 4.1
FSLibEnh B.11.23.03a File-system library for VxFS 4.1
JFS B.11.23 The Base VxFS File System
VRTSvxfs 4.1.001 VERITAS File System

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Haim Lichaa
Advisor

Re: Do my servers support Online Vxresize?

I forgot to mention that these are raw filesystems used by our db and are not actually mounted, if that makes any difference.
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

check the online JFS license in your system

in 11iv1
#vxlicense -p

in 11iv2
#vxlicrep
a warrior never quits
Shrikant Lavhate
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Prior to that you can also check first if online JFS availability
#swlist -l product|grep -i JFS
Will it remain a personal, if I broadcast it here!
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

"Raw filesystems used by our DB and [...] not actually mounted"?

There might be a bit of confusion here.

If a database engine is using a "raw" volume, it is *not* using any filesystem to do it: it's just the database engine's native data format on the raw volume. After all, the purpose of this is to skip the filesystem layer entirely. This is usually done to avoid filesystem's buffers and optimizations which are non-optimal for database use.

If your database is directly accessing /dev/vgXXX/rlvolYYY devices, there is no VXFS involved at all. You can certainly extend (or even reduce) the raw logical volume at will even with the basic LVM: that's what the "lvextend" and "lvreduce" commands do.

What happens to the database inside the logical volume depends on your database engine: if it can handle LV size changes while the database is active, you can go ahead.

The general sequence of events is the same as with filesystems: when extending, you *first* extend the LV with the lvextend command, *then* tell the database "there is extra capacity available on this LV, start using it".

If you need to reduce, you must *first* tell the database "make sure everything from point X to the end of the LV is unused, because that part of LV will soon be gone." If your DB engine supports this *and* the operation is successfully completed, *only then* you can proceed with the lvreduce. Otherwise your database will become corrupt and some data may be lost.

Always make sure you have an up-to-date full backup before any sort of a LV reduce operation, just in case something fails.

MK
MK
chris huys_4
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As you are writing about vxresize, I suppose the vxvm volumemanager is in use on the system.

To verify the above, issue the "vxdisk -o alldgs list" command.

If the above command returns output, establish if the diskgroup that contains the "vxvm volume to be resized" is imported on this system.

Use then the vxresize command to grow the volume to the correct length. (vxresize -g )

Best Regards,
Chris
PS. Growing a vxvm volume, without a filesystem, can be done "online" and doesnt need the "full" vxvm license. (see man vxresize). "vxdctl license" to check the "vxvm" license status on youre system.