Extend logical volume

SOLVED
Go to solution
AbdulMateen
Visitor

Extend logical volume

Hello friends,

I am  a newbie as HP-UX system admin.

one of the file system has reached 90% full. I now have to add the space to this file system. we are using EVA.

virtual disk is created and presented to host.

did steps as follows

1. ioscan -fnC disk..

2.  insf -e

3. I was able to identify/mapped the LUN with newly created device file through evainfo tool.

/dev/rdsk/c13t1d0
/dev/rdsk/c15t1d0
/dev/rdsk/c17t1d0
/dev/rdsk/c19t1d0
/dev/rdsk/c21t1d0
/dev/rdsk/c23t1d0
/dev/rdsk/c25t1d0
/dev/rdsk/c27t1d0

my question is from the above how do i know which one to make as primary and remaining as alternative links in pvcreate command?

should i have to run pvcreate for each link?

can anyone guide me with remaining steps for my task please.

Regards,

Abdul

1 REPLY 1
Solution

Re: Extend logical volume

>> my question is from the above how do i know which one to make as primary and remaining as alternative links in pvcreate

>> command?

It doesn't really matter that much, but it is ggod practice to alternate primary PVs down different paths to ensure load is spread across FC cards and EVA controllers - so I would use the outputs you have from ioscan and evainfo to pick a path which is out a different controller and different FC HBA to the existing PV in the VG. I haven't used EVA in a long time, but I seem to recall you may also have to make sure that the PV is preferred out of the controller you choose for the primary PV link.

>> should i have to run pvcreate for each link?

No, only run pvcreate once.

>> can anyone guide me with remaining steps for my task please.

After pvcreate, use vgextend to add the primary and all alternate PV links to the VG, then use lvextend to extend the LV with the filesystem on it. WHat happens next depends on whether you have OnlineJFS or not - if you don't then unmount the filesystem and use extendfs, if you do then you can extend the filesystem online using fsadm.

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo