108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Extend lvol

midoone103
Advisor

Extend lvol

hello all...
i wanna that someone tell if this, is the good manner to extend lvol

at first we should connect server at single user with.
# shutdown -y o
# lvdisplay -v vg00 (for exemple)
# /sbin/lvextend -L 800 /dev/vg00/lvol01
# /sbin/unmount /usr
the lvol here exist at "/usr" f.ex
# /sbin/extenddfs /dev.......
for fix dfs
# /sbin/mount /usr

at the end
# reboot -r

i'd be glad if someone answer me or help i get mistake.
12 REPLIES 12
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Apparently you're assuming this is a cluster environment, hence the "o" option to shutdown? For the rest, the actual extension of the lvol, I would suggest you look at the man page for lvextend, paying particular attention to the EXAMPLES section.

Pete

Pete

>> # shutdown -y o

I presume you meant "shutdown -y 0" and are hoping this will take you to single user mode yes?

I think you will find that this will not leave you in a position to umount /usr as there will still be processes active on the filesystem.

The "safe" way to get to single user mode is to "shutdown -r -y 0" from the console, wait for the system to reboot and then interrupt the boot sequence and boot to single user mode. How you do that depends on whether this is a HP9000 (rpXXXX) or HP Integrity server (rxXXXX)server... you didn't tell us that.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo

Pete - more likely a typo for "0" rather than the "-o" option on shutdown - I can't believe anyone still runs diskless clusters!

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
TTr
Honored Contributor

Maybe that "o" was meant to be a "0" (zero).
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

If you have onlineJFS you can extend /usr without shuting down the system. You can either use SAM and extend the lvol and SAM will automatically extend the filesystem also or you could use the lvextend and fsadm commands yourself.

I assume the shutdown command is so you can reboot into single user mode 'hpux -is'. This is necessary if you do NOT have OnlineJFS. In that case you'll whant to do a shutdown -ry 0 and interupt the boot process so you can go into single user mode.

Once the system is up, there is no need to unmount /usr because it's not going to be mounted anyway.
Roopesh Francis_1
Trusted Contributor

first ..please tell us what file system you need to extend and what is your hp ux version.
is online jfs installed on the system?

thanks
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Duncan,

I can hardly wait for the next question about why his /dev filled up!

;^)

Pete

Pete
midoone103
Advisor

sorry, yeah i mean " 0 " in shutdown not " o ".
midoone103
Advisor

sir francis

i am under hp-ux vers 1
for exepmle i wanna extend /var, u know the log file take more space,

jfs is installed.