108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: FC10 disk repalcement - LVM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Karl Myers_1
Occasional Advisor

FC10 disk repalcement - LVM

I have an fc10 that had two faulty disks. They have since been replaced, but I am unable to configure them along with the other 8 disks in the array.
I have tried adding them via CL and SAM and have returned that vgextend and was unable to configure the alternate path.
I have checked the disks using STM and found that STM is reporting the disks as fualty. My vendor does not believe that the two disks they sourced are 'faulty' and would like them back for testing.
Could someone help with configuration steps to get these two disks into the vg or other pointers to ensure that the disk is in fact faulty please.
4 REPLIES 4
Con O'Kelly
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi

Follow these steps if you haven't already:
1. Replace disk

2. Checkthe output of:
# ioscan -fnC disk
The new disks should show CLAIMED and there should be device files for them.

3. Restore LVM info to disk
# vgcfgrestore -n /dev/rdsk/cXtXdX
# vgchange -a y

The LVM chapter in HP-UX Recovery handbook provides alot of useful info. I have attached it for your info.

Cheers
Con

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

What version of HP-UX are you using? If you are using 11.0 or 11.11 then you may have to do an 'fcmsutil -replace_disk ...'

Do a 'man fcmsutil' for the exact syntax.

You will also need to find the NPORT_ID of the disks that you replaced. I believe you can get this via fcmsutil as well.

I have also found the NPORT_ID by looking in /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log for the appropriate error messages. This has worked for me in the past:

# grep -i nport /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

You then take that value and plug it into your 'fcmsutil -replace_disk ' command in the appropriate spot.
James Lynch
Valued Contributor

Patrick is correct, you MUST run fcmsutil -n each disk that you replace. The FC driver reads each disk's WWN (world Wide Name) upon reboot. The driver associates the WWN with the solt that the disk is in and stores this in kernel memory. When the kernel accesses a disk it first checks to see if the WWN and the slot number match, if they do they the disk access proceeds, if not then the driver blocks access to the disk. This is testing is used to prevent a disk being pulled from one slot and then accidentally or purposefully being inserted back into a different slot. The fcmsutil command tells the driver that it should forget the previous WWN/slot association and create a new one for this new disk.

There is one other way to get around this, and that is to reboot the system so that the drivers recreates all of the WWN/slot associations. But that is a little drastic.

-JL
Wild turkey surprise? I love wild turkey surprise!
Karl Myers_1
Occasional Advisor

Thank you to all that replied.
As always help is appreciated.
I have also ran this past HP and they confirm that the disk is dead.