FS Mount problem during reboot and after

SOLVED
Go to solution
Becke
Super Advisor

FS Mount problem during reboot and after

Hi Guys,

I'm getting the following error message during the reboot
" /etc/lvmtab is out of date with the running kernel, kenel indicates 2 disks for /dev/vg01, /etc/lvmtab has 1 disk, cannot proceed with backup"...

I cannot mount the FS which resides on this volume group called /dev/vg01....

Please advise as its urgent...

Thanks in advance
Raf
11 REPLIES 11
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: FS Mount problem during reboot and after

please see the output of #dmesg, Also look at /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log. Confirm there is no disk failures.

Can you type the following commands on the # prompt as shown and attach the /tmp/info.log?

#script /tmp/info.log

#strings /etc/lvmtab

#cat /etc/fstab

#bdf

#ioscan -fnCdisk

#dmesg

#exit

Please attach /tmp/info.log after exiting.

Regards,
Syam
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

ioscan -fnCdisk

Are all disks in claimed state?/ Looks like you have lost one disk. Unless you get that you can not activate vg and mount that lvol.
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=680638

Check this thread, it may be helpful to you

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
Becke
Super Advisor

I really appreciate everyone's quick response, below is what I have done so far..

1. I have deleted all the file systems on vg01.
2. I have then recreated all the file systems again.
3. I have deactivated the vg01 vg.
4. I have then mounted all the filesystems.
5. And then I have rebooted the system in order to sync the kernel.
6. All the file systems have come O.K now.

I'm performing a new mksysb of the system now, as this is a DR machine and there is no application data sitting on it.

I intend to backup the Filesystem and directory structure of both vg00 and vg01 now, so I can restore it from the mksysb tape, as i need to perform a DR exercise.

The command I have run to backup vg00 and the directory structure of vg01 is below.

"make_tape_recovery -I -a /dev/rmt/0mn -x inc_entire=vg00 -x inc_entire=vg01 -t DR.MKSYSB"

Could you please advise me whether the above command will actually backup the directory structure of vg01 volume group or not, as it hasn't finished yet...

I the above "make_tape_recovery" command is not right then what is the right command please advise, and let me know...We have an excellent team here guys and I have learned a lot from all of you, my main platform is AIX but I'm also working on HP-UX servers..

Look forward to hearing from you...

Kind Regards,
Raf
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

Ignite was desinged keeping in mind, the recovery of root file system-vg00.

Any non-root data, should be backed up regulalry with backup software-tar, omniback etc. etc.

What you need to back up is vg01 config data. this also gets backed up when you run LVM commands. (by default) Check /etc/lvmconf directory.

The command you used for make_tape_recovery is right.
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

yes, It shoule be correct to backup all vg01. Also, why dont you try using a backup software like Networker to perform backup ?

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
Hoang Chi Cong_1
Honored Contributor

Yep! The command is correct.
In your case, if you use a backup software you have to buy the license...
But if you don't want to spend some money to buy it, Ignite-UX is your choice.
As you said, if you have a server you can install IgniteUX server software to this server and from this server, you can make any backup from any client as you want.
Can download from here:

http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=IGNITEUXB

I think it is a good feature if you don't have any backup software.

Regard,
Hoang Chi Cong
Looking for a special chance.......
Becke
Super Advisor

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for everyone's prompt response and help, I was able to backup the directory structure of vg01 along with the vg00. I have used the following command and it worked. Bear in mind i'm running HP-UX os version 10.20 on my DR machine which is now out of support...

"make_tape_recovery -I -a /dev/rmt/0mn -x inc_entire=vg01 -x inc_entire=vg00 -t DR.TAPE"...

Now I have another question, I'm trying to backup application data manualy by using 'fbackup' command and it works fine when I run it as a root user, but it doesn't work when I run it as a normal user..

What do i need to do to fix this problem, so a normal user can run the fbackup command... Mind you there is no disk space on the server, so i cannot install the sudo...its a legacy server running hp-version 10.01...

Please let me know...Thanks team for the support...

Kind Regards,
Raf
Hoang Chi Cong_1
Honored Contributor

Hi
With normal user, can backup by using fbackup command...
Show me the permission of fbackup!
In my system the permission is:
-r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 77824 Apr 17 2003 /usr/sbin/fbackup

Not sure in HP-UX 10.20 but I have test in my system 11i. It is working smoothly...

Regard,
Hoang Chi Cong
Looking for a special chance.......