1753479 Members
4981 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Finding alternate path

Ed Kwan_2
Advisor

Finding alternate path

Is there any other way to find the alternate path to a disk other than using vgdisplay -v, which shows all the alternate paths of a disk.

How does vgdisplay do it ?

Thanks, Ed
5 REPLIES 5
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Not really....if your stoarge is on EMC, then you can also see the disks with syminq....what do you need to do exactly that vgdisplay doesn't work for you?

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Ed Kwan_2
Advisor

I am trying to write a script to determine my alternate path is correct via the hardware path. From the device file, I can use ioscan to find the hw path which will allow me to determine the domain of the switch.
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

Look for Terry's response in this thread.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xa2aae7613948d5118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

-USA..
Good Luck..
John Waller
Esteemed Contributor

An expert may correct me on this one, but I thought the vgdisplay command command picked up the information from the vgda on the disk. When you vgextend a disk into a volume group I presume the information about that vg is recorded in the first block on the disk . (Why else do you have to pvcreate -f to re-use a disk which has been used on another system). If you the vgextend to that disk again using an alternate device (path) it automatically recognizes that it is part of that vg, so you get the alternate link. I may be wrong but it sound reasonable.
Ed Kwan_2
Advisor

Thank you all for the suggestions. From previous postings, all were under the assumption I already know both paths and try to verify it is indeed correct.

However, in my scenerio, given one disk, I would like to find its alternate path without knowing the c?t?d?.

I can parse out the info from vgdisplay or pvdisplay, I thought there might be a more arrogant way to do that.

Thanks, Ed