108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Fixed MB opposed to Range on Install

SOLVED
Go to solution
GraceO
Regular Advisor

Fixed MB opposed to Range on Install

When installing the 11i V2 OS, under File Systems for the 'Advanced' install, what is the difference between Fixed MB as opposed to using Range? You can always increase the allocation regardless of what you choose, right?
6 REPLIES 6
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Fixed MB opposed to Range on Install

I have never been quite sure what the purpose is of the options in the FS sizes. I always modify ALL file systems to be the size I want and I always select FIXED MB.

Yes, you can increase them later, but if you don't have ONLINE JFS, it will likely require a reboot.

I see no reason to leave anything to chance and make the file systems the size I want them from the start.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Grace:

Choose the Fixed MB and set each logical volume size according to your needs (constrained by the minimum sizes in the installation guide, of course).

Remember that lvol1, lvol2 and lvol3 for '/stand', primary swap and '/' are contiguous allocation and therefore are extremely difficult to resize. Choose wisely at the beginning of your server setup.

Regards!

...JRF...
GraceO
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your thoughts!
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

If you want some more information on what exactly the options mean, have a look at the "Ignite-UX Administration Guide, Edition 25" on pages 145-146 .

The guide is available here:

PDF File - http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-91049/B2355-91049.pdf

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-91049/index.html
If you choose the HTML version, go directly here: http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-91049/ch06s04.html

The info want is a 3/4 of the way down the page (watch for the FILE SYSTEM TAB section).
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Fixed is far easier to manipulate and other than /, /stand, and primary swap which must be contiguous, if you have OnlineJFS, it's wiser to leave plenty of unfigured space on the boot disk. It's so easy to extend the other LVOL's and filesystems that it isn't worth worrying about. The install will warn you if your filesystems are too small. With experience you can pretty much hit the sizes dead on --- depending on the software that you will eventually load. When learning, make / and /stand somewhere between 256MiB and 512Mib (and those are extremely generous) and the rest will pretty much take of themselves -- especially if you are going to install OnlineJFS -- and every HP-UX box should have OnlineJFS.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
GraceO
Regular Advisor

We have OnlineJFS, sort of. We have a license for it, but no CDs. I'm new to this job and apparently the position has been vacant for a while. I'm having difficulty finding things! I'll get JFS installed, hopefully, soon.