108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Growing a file system from an EVA

SOLVED
Go to solution
grhardin75
Occasional Contributor

Growing a file system from an EVA

I have a HP rp7420 running HP-UX 11iv2 EOE. I have a volume group created from a LUN residing on an EVA 3000. I have increased the size of the LUN on the EVA, and now I need to grow the volume group. I am stuck at this point... I have tried running an `ioscan -C disk` to rescan the disks, but I have not seen any change in the free PE when I run `pvdisplay /dev/dsk/c8t0d3`. Is there any way to resize the physical volumes so I can take advantage of the additional disk space allocated to the LUN?

Also, can someone double check my procedure:
1) Grow LUN on EVA. Check
2) Expand physical volumes?
3) Expand volume group (vgextend vg04 /dev/rdsk/c8t0d3)
4) Expand LVMs (lvextend -l 7680 /dev/vg01/lvm1)
5) Grow the VxFS file system (fsadm -F vxfs -b 614400 /z01)

Thanks,

Geoff
Eldridge's Axiom: "Faster, Better, Cheaper. Pick any two."
7 REPLIES 7
Sandy Chen
Honored Contributor

Hi Geoff,

I believe HPUX didn't support if you grow the LUN size on EVA. What you should do:

1. Create a new LUN on EVA
2. Present the LUN to the server
3. pvcreate the disk and then vgextend the vg
4. extend the LV
5. extend the filesystem

regards,
Sandy
I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.
freddy_21
Respected Contributor

Hi Geoff
1. Do you increase the existing lun or Create a new LUN? if you extend the existing, it doesn't possible. If you create a new disk please note: the new disk can't bigger than existing disk. you will have problem about that.
2. please check max pe per pv.

Freddy
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

interesting question.

Since years this question was not important, because non of the HP arrays were able to increase a LUN size. For this reason the only way out was delete the LUN and create a new and bigger one. Of course this was followed by creating new devices with "pvcreate" etc. Another possibility was and is to create a new LUN and leave the old LUN in place and vgextend the VG with the new LUN.
Now with the EVA this is different.
I still guess you cannot increase the size of a physical device (from the LVM point of view), but I was wondering about the "pvcreate" manpage:

"-x extensibility Set the allocation permission to add physical extents to the physical volume pv_path. extensibility can have the following values:

y Allow allocation of additional physical extents on the physical volume. This is the default."

No idea what the meaning is. Somebody?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Alzhy
Honored Contributor
Solution

Extending a LUN's size on EVAs is NOT yet supported on the current version of HP-UX 11i environments. You will have to use your volume maneger (LVM or VXVM) to expand your storage objects on the OS by adding additional LUN(s). It is possible though the next release of HP-UX 11i (if there will still be one), may support it.

Only VMS, Windows and possibly Linux support LUN size expansion on the EVAs.
Hakuna Matata.
support_5
Super Advisor

Hi all,

This '-x' option of vgextend sounds very interesting. Does anyone know if HP-UX 11.31 supports extending a physical volume (ie allocating additional physical extents to a physical volume) in LVM? What about 11.23?

Strange that it would appear in an 11.23 man page, yet apparently not be supported on the platform?

Has anyone played around with the -x option?

This would certainly be a useful feature since adding disk space to a volume group can get messy over time when you keep adding small LUN's over time to accomodate the VG growth. Adding larger LUN's instead of smaller ones doesn't solve the problem either, it merely defers it. So it would certainly be handy to be able to extend PV's.

Thanks all.

- Andy
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

HP-UX 11.31 does support changes in disk sizes and modifying VG parameters.

see

man vgmodify

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-60130/vgmodify.1M.html

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
support_5
Super Advisor

Wow, that's excellent! At long last. Now if only we could do that on the XP12000!

Thanks!!

- Andy