108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HFS non journaled or vxfs journaled

SOLVED
Go to solution
Belinda Dermody
Super Advisor

HFS non journaled or vxfs journaled

Have a new 5470 11.i system pre-loaded and with Mirror UX. I am totally familar with LVM command lines commands. I notice while using SAM to create some LVOL that it gives you the option for either HFS or VXFS volumes. Should I stick with HFS volumes as I will not be using the basic veritas with the package (even though the rootvg is vxfs volumes), or doesn't make a difference.
4 REPLIES 4
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Re: HFS non journaled or vxfs journaled

James,

You definitely want to go with the VxFS, or Journalled", file systems. They're more reliable, much quicker to fsck when you do have a problem and are the default. The only exception is /stand - which has to be HFS.

I would also re-think going with VxVM, if I were you. I see no advantage at this point and I'm not sure HP is going to continue pushing it.

Pete

Pete
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

Its a combination between two things:

1) your comfort level with making modifications in hfs and vxfs.

2) if in the future you decide to go to Adv JFS to get more features, it will be an easier transition from vxfs then from hfs.

Just my thoughts.

Best regards,

Kent M. Ostby
"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

For at least the last five years, vxfs filesystems (with or without OnlineJFS and with or without LVM) blow away hfs filesystems in performance. The only reason /stand must be hfs is that the firmware only knows hfs. For all other filesystems, vxfs is by far the weapon of choice.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi James:

I'd definitely buildf VSFS filesystems. I-nodes can be added without bound. If you add the Online license, you add the ability to do snapshot filesystem backups thereby greatly reducing the time a file system needs to be static to achieve a good backup. Of course, you can also dynamically resize filesystems without unmounting them with the Online component added. In addition, the Online license allows you to leverage a number of mount options which can dramatically improve performance on a filesystem-by-filesystem case basis. Without the Online license these are not available. See the 'mount_vxfs(1M)' man pages for more information.

Regards!

...JRF...